A Conversation for Blackjack - the Card Game

Copyright!

Post 1

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

I can't belive you didn't pick up on the graphics copyright issues, that design is Definatly copyrighted to someone, I know it is.

-- DoctorMO --


Copyright!

Post 2

Mu Beta

Are you sure, MO? I know the design is used by several cards writers, but only when there's a hand holding the cards. My gut instinct is that the art is safe.

B


Copyright!

Post 3

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

No, it's the attual design of the kings and queens thats the problem.

-- DoctorMO --


Copyright!

Post 4

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

I think someone may have a point here. Cards are usually copyright and if the artwork has been based on an actual design then there could be trouble. Where the hell is Monty Trout when you need himsmiley - wah


Copyright!

Post 5

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

were the hell is the Italics, I would have thought they would be here in 2 minutes investigating and telling people off.

-- DoctorMO --


Copyright!

Post 6

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

Are they Sicilian Italics or the regular mainland ones?


Copyright!

Post 7

Mu Beta

Ah-hah - no, I think the artwork is definitely safe, then.

You can only place copyright on _whole packs_ of cards. Obviously, many varieties of pack use the artwork that has been imitated here, but as we cannot see the card-backs, there is no way to prove copyright ownership.

B


Copyright!

Post 8

Baron Grim

There's enough of the king's design to be recognized (I'd hazard a guess that it might be Bicycle deck since it's the most common). One thing that concerns me is the increasing use of photographs. Are the community artists getting that backlogged. I can understand using a photo occasionally if it is merited (for something specific that an artist rendering of which might be confusing or inadaquate). But I'm sure one of our community artists could have knocked out a similar image quickly and run less of a risk of copyright issues. Also the increasing use of photos would seem to be counter to hootoo's desire to keep a consistant 'style'.
I may have to drop by the CA pages to see what they're saying about this.

smiley - vampire Count Zero, slightly perplexed.


Copyright!

Post 9

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Don't worry, I often wonder about the sanity of the system myself.

after all I'm on the other side making these graphics and I never saw this one come up.

-- DoctorMO --


Copyright!

Post 10

The H2G2 Editors



Rest assured that the image is copyright free. It has come from the BBC Photo Library.

Images in the library are classified into four sections:

- Images where you have to pay for every usage.
- Images which you have to pay for and can use in certain areas
- Images where the BBC has paid for the rights forever
- Images that are capyright free (either taken by the BBC or are in the public domain).

This graphic falls into the last category.

Hope that helps

The Eds.


Copyright!

Post 11

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Brilliant news, I just wish you'd have told us before smiley - winkeye

-- DoctorMO --


Copyright!

Post 12

The H2G2 Editors

We've told you now, so no harm done... smiley - winkeye


Copyright!

Post 13

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post