A Conversation for The Iron Creek Manitou Stone, Alberta, Canada

an update

Post 1

anhaga

I was at the Museum today and noticed that a small mound of offerings (tobacco, principally) is gathering at the base of the pedestal on which the Manitou Stone sits. I guess the traditional religion of the Cree People is still strong enough to push them past the admission charge to reach their sacred stone.

I wrote a note to the administration of the museum suggesting that the lobby would be a more appropriate location for the Stone. I've had no response.

There is a place in the Aboriginal Gallery where patrons are asked to leave their thoughts about the Gallery in general, and the co-option of Native symbols specifically. Last week I suggested that new cards should be made available at that location, as none had been available for months and the past comments on display were becoming quite illegible due to new comments (most obscene) being written over them. This week new cards were available and the defaced ones had been removed. But the pen was out of ink . . .

I intend to continue pushing for the relocation of the stone in order to make it accessible to the people for whom it is sacred. It seems to me that a shift in location within the Museum should not have the political difficulties of a return to the original owners.

smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post

an update

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more