A Conversation for Great Board Games

Axis and Allies

Post 1

pedboy

Similar to Risk, as checkers is to chess. A boardgame of WW2, using dice and strategy.

smiley - zen
smiley - towel

pedboy


Axis and Allies

Post 2

pedboy

· Can you find out where certain games originated and when they first appeared? Larry Harris designed the game in the early 1980’s.
· Has the game evolved through time? It has evolved into several variations since introduction. Axis and Allies, Europe, Axis and Allies Pacific
· Are there any interesting variations on the standard game? Yes, many expansion packs are available.
· Which games are the most spectacularly involving? Which take the longest time to play a full round? Which allow you to cram in the most amount of rounds in an evening? The games most involving are when several good strategies, and the dice allow for a fun game. Personally I have played 12hrs in one sitting, but I have heard of many much longer. To cram the most rounds in, do not allow alcohol.

smiley - zen
smiley - towel

pedboy


Axis and Allies

Post 3

pedboy

I have just finished a 7hr game, with 3 of my good mates.
What a game!! smiley - cheers

smiley - zen
smiley - towel

pedboy


Axis and Allies

Post 4

pedboy

http://www.timegate.com./content.php?section=pressrelease&id=3

Atari and TimeGate Studios™ to Develop Axis & Allies RTS Game Based on Best-Selling Franchise

CHANGE THE COURSE OF HISTORY WITH NEW AXIS & ALLIES EXPERIENCE

BEVERLY, MA - May 13, 2003 - Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) and TimeGate Studios, Inc. announced today a partnership to develop a new PC installment of Axis & Allies®, the popular World War II game franchise. Axis & Allies®: RTS (working title) is inspired by the game of war, strategy and economics found in the best-selling Axis & Allies board game, but features unique elements that allow players to change the course of history in new ways. Axis & Allies: RTS is being developed for the PC by TimeGate Studios, creators of the award-winning Kohan series, and is scheduled for release in fall 2004.

In Axis & Allies: RTS, players will relive and experience the most epic struggle in the history of mankind, World War II. Players will be able to direct the military and economic destiny of any one of the world's most powerful countries - United States, England, Germany, The Soviet Union or Japan. Axis & Allies: RTS will not only capture the intensity of war but will also allow players to change the outcome of the major battles and campaigns of World War II. Confronted with the strategic and tactical situations experienced by the top generals and national leaders of the period, players will have to make critical decisions that determine the fate and the destiny of the world.

"We are thrilled to extend our relationship with TimeGate Studios to develop a new interactive Axis & Allies experience," said Nancy MacIntyre, Vice President of Marketing, Atari's Beverly studio. "Axis & Allies: RTS will give gamers and World War II enthusiasts a chance to change the course of history as they haven't been able to previously."

"We are very excited to be working on this project with one of the leading publishers in the industry, " said Adel Chaveleh, President of TimeGate Studios. "We have been fans and players of the Axis & Allies franchise for years and our commitment to innovation combined with the popularity of the brand is a definite recipe for a killer title."

Axis & Allies: RTS will feature gameplay elements such as unique organization of units; command of land, sea, and air units in real-time; dynamic fronts and supply lines; interaction with Generals and Leaders of the era; and intense online play with a powerful random scenario generator.

The Axis & Allies: RTS PC game was inspired by Larry Harris, creator of the seminal and best-selling board game Axis and Allies, and will be available at retail stores nationwide in 2004.




About TimeGate Studios
Founded in 1998 by a team of successful businessmen and avid gamers, TimeGate Studios has exploded onto the gaming scene with the release of the critically acclaimed Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns. Since its release in 2001, Kohan has won over 30 awards, including the coveted "Strategy Game of the Year" award from top gaming publications. TimeGate's stellar reputation continues to thrive as it develops AAA, cross-platform titles for several leading publishers in the industry. For more information, visit www.timegate.com.



About Atari
New York-based Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) develops interactive games for all platforms and is one of the largest third-party publishers of interactive entertainment software in the U.S. The Company's 1,000+ titles include hard-core, genre-defining games such as Driver™, Enter the Matrix™, Neverwinter Nights™, Stuntman™, Test Drive®, Unreal® Tournament 2003, and Unreal® Championship; and mass-market and children's games such as Backyard Sports™, Nickelodeon's Blue's Clues™ and Dora the Explorer™, Civilization®, Dragon Ball Z® and RollerCoaster Tycoon®. Atari, Inc. is a majority-owned subsidiary of France-based Infogrames Entertainment SA (Euronext 5257), the largest interactive games publisher in Europe. For more information, visit www.atari.com.
,br> © 2003 Atari Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more