A Conversation for Cures for Apathy

beating apathy senseless

Post 1

Rasa

This summer, apathy has been my main companion. I stay up late, get up late, and by the time I'm up, it's so hot and the day is almost half over, that there's really no point in doing anything. Besides that, the TV in my house is almost always on, and daytime TV is a treacherous little energy sucker smiley - vampire.
Here's some suggestions to get out of similar situations:

-Make a list of things you have to do, and don't make it too long - no more than 10 points at first, max.! Then prioritize. Number your tasks in big, bold numerals, and circle the numbers. It doesn't matter what your number 1 is (it can be the biggest project, the smallest, anything at all), the important thing is that it's a starting point.
Immediately upon completing the list, do task number 1.

-Tell people to give you useful tasks, like housework. No matter what it is (within reason, of course), no matter how much you don't want to, you will do what they tell you to do. There is no arguing with this, and no discussion. You do what they say, when they say it.

-Put on your favorite upbeat music really loudly. This will either bring your spirits up by itself, or annoy the neighbours so much they'll complain, which will bring interesting situations. Argue with them that the music has been scientifically proven to cure stomachaches.

-Take a cold shower.

-DO NOT WATCH TV. There is nothing else in today's world that is so distracting, absorbing and time-wasting as television. If you have to watch TV, check the TV guide first and pick out exactly what you want to watch. Do not just sit down and start flipping through the channels.

-Get up early in the morning, every day, same time. No excuses.

-Go out. Even if you have no reason, get dressed, go out, wander, go somewhere where people are (even strangers will do fine).


Key: Complain about this post

beating apathy senseless

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more