A Conversation for 'The Heights of Macchu Picchu' - a Poem by Pablo Neruda

elliot's wasteland

Post 1

wonko the sane

great work!!

Just the matter of Elliot's Wasteland, which you said had no resolution at the end. Well actually , part 5 ,"What the thunder said" is essentially a (admitedly slightly inaccessible) exposition of Elliot's belief that it is spiritual discipline ,represented by the Sanskrit words "Datta, Damyata, Dhayadvam" (roughly generosity, sympathy, and moderation) that would redeem mankind. This tallied very well with Elliot's adoption of strong Christian beliefs later in life.

cheers


elliot's wasteland

Post 2

deemikay

Ooo, I suppose that's a fair point. It does resolve itself... but for me the general feeling is one of emptiness (as he wrote himself, The Wasteland is a piece of "philosophical grumbling") But amongst all the talk of "arid plains", London Bridge falling down and "These fragments I have shored against my ruin" it all seems very pessimistic.

And the myth of "What the thunder said" is a myth of guessing and confusion. The gods heard "Da" and assumed that it meant damyata ("be self controlled"), the people heard "Da" and assumed it meant datta ("give"). The anti-gods (sort of demons) heard it and assumed dayadhvam ("be merciful"). Three rules for three different types of being. Eliot would have known this as he had studied Indian Myth.

Not quite as clear cut as Neruda's message... but this is just my reading of it.

Thanks for your somments! smiley - ok

deemikay


elliot's wasteland

Post 3

deemikay

smiley - sorry I did of course mean comments..... smiley - erm


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Heights of Macchu Picchu' - a Poem by Pablo Neruda

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more