Brent Stephenson

0 Conversations

John Ridgway Save the Albatross Voyage 2003-4

AIM: TO PREVENT THE NEEDLESS SLAUGHTER OF THE ALBATROSSBrent StephensonBirdlife Volunteer - Leg 5, Wellington, NZ, to Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

I grew up in Hawke’s Bay, a rural area on the East coast of the North Island of New Zealand. My enthusiasm for birding began at the age of nine, while on a family holiday in the UK. And by the time I was twelve, I had joined the Ornithological Society of New Zealand (OSNZ) and decided to study birds at university. And here I am today, heading toward the end of my Doctorate, studying Australasian gannets at Massey University!

My interest in photography developed over the same period. What better way to document and share the things and places you see? Starting with very basic equipment, I managed to make my first sales in the postcard market at sixteen. But both birding and photography had to become a bit of a sideline during my early years at university as money was often in short supply. However, my enthusiasm for both, returned when I began my Masterate of Science, on the small island of Mokoia in the middle of a lake in the North Island. There I studied the morepork, a small native owl. In fact a numbered of endangered birds had been released on the island and this spurred things along.

Starting my Phd on gannets opened my eyes to a whole new realm – Seabirds! While there is still much to learn about land-based birds, we are yet to even scratch the surface of what there is to be know about seabirds: their biology, how man and the environment affect them, their distribution, even how to distinguish between closely related species. In fact seabirds have become a passion. And fortunately for me, New Zealand is often called the ‘seabird capital of the world’

I have become very keen on travel while at University, and I’ve managed to fit a fair bit of birding into trips to conferences in Australia, South Africa, China and Indonesia. I have been a Regional Representative for OSNZ and am currently webmaster for them. Recently, I have started a newsgroup in New Zealand devoted to birds and birding (BIRDING-NZ) and developed several web pages, both for my photographic interests and for a bird guiding business that myself and good mate Sav Saville have started.

So, when the opportunity arose to join an amazing Voyage like this, which aims to prevent the needless slaughter of the Albatross, as well as further our knowledge of seabird biology, distribution and their interaction with humans, how could I resist? It combines my major passions: seabirds, photography and travel!

Brent Stephenson.

May 2003.

Back to the Volunteer Guidelines page

Back to the Contents Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1061722

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more