The Purloined Morality: An examination of sin and sincerity in modern Chiropractic Veterinary Practice

0 Conversations


Can I have a Doctor without a hook, please? The chrome keeps flashing in my periphery and I have this odd form of epilepsy that...clunk..


Medicine as we know it is a relatively recent concept.

For millenia, your local doctor or nurse was a person who did the best that they could.

They lived down the block or a couple of farmsteads away and they took a chicken or a bag of potatoes for their trouble.

They weren't necessarily smarter or better educated than their patients, and they weren't necessarily exempt from doing what everyone else did, namely, trying to make it through the year without starving.

The man in the white coat who has years of training and access to a century and a half of scientific proof is a product of the last century and a half.

Yet, Doctors and Nurses are just as much 'doing the best that they can' as their predecessors.

Medicine can be a science, if you know what you are doing.

If you don't, it is just guesswork.

With us this evening is a man who has done a lot of guessing about Medicine, Dr. Reinard S. Schlonemutter, the author of the old book, "How much do we really know and do we really want to know it?"

Hello, Dr. Schlonemutter.


And a Gluten Dog, to you, too.

Yes, medicine involves a series of accidents, arrogances and wishes.

Many eminent doctors have tried something on a patient and watched patiently, only to be fully suprised that the patient lived.

Many anxious families of patients have sat quietly, trusting in modern science, only to have their member not wake up from the procedure because some intern was not rested properly before he took up a knife, an IV bag or a bottle of medication.

Then the lynch mentality appears. As well it should.

The academic nature of much modern medical training involves something similar to the training of lawyers and law enforcement personnel. It tends to separate the practitioner from the practiced upon, even though there is nothing to prevent any of them from needing the services of their peers, a fact, which, while it doesn't bother them, certainly frightens me.

Malpractice and malfeasance have become big issues.

That is because money is getting in the way of medicine.

If people and doctors and NHS executives would just behave as they really should, everybody would live a bit longer and a bit healthier and the government wouldn't be mucking about in something it knows nothing about.

No piece of paper in a white paper ever healed anyone.

What we need is a seeking out of people who are healers, who would receive just enough training not to contaminate their patients, who would then be allowed to minister to people and to try to make their suffering less...

Instead of a bunch of civil servants who are just doing their jobs, and those hamstrung by a bunch of deskbound civil servants who couldn't do their jobs if they bit them...

Thank you.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1046693

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more