Flags of the World: Vertical Bands/Stripes

0 Conversations

Peru

This flag is either the result of a general seeing a flock of flamingos with red wings and white breasts fly overhead
or it has more to do with red and white being traditional Inca colours.
Guatemala

This flag was originally based on the Argentinian one (as were those of other Central American states which broke away from Spanish rule).
The orientation was changed from horizontal to vertical bands later.
Nigeria

The flag proportions are the result of Nigeria formerly being a British colony.
This competition-winning design represents the river Niger running through forests on either side.
In addition, the green colour symbolises agricultural wealth and the white is for unity and peace.
France

There are various sources for the symbology of the colours in the flag of the French Republic.
At the time the "tricolour" was revolutionary in its simplicity and influenced the design of later flags.
Belgium

The colours of the Belgian flag predate the French tricolour and were common to the arms of most Belgian provinces.
However, the switch from the earlier horizontal bands to vertical bands was made after independence.
It is not quite a square.
Italy

This one was based on the French one. It had a coat of arms in the centre until Italy became a republic.
Romania

While based on the French tricolour, the bands were originally horizontal not vertical.
Andorra

This is another French-influenced tricolour.
However, the colours reflect those of both France and Spain - who were joint protectors of the co-principality.
Guinea

When Guinea achieved independence from France, the tricolour design was kept but the Pan-African colours substituted.
Symbolically it also matches the national motto: red for work, yellow for justice and green for solidarity.
Mali

Mali has been occupied by France, a French colony, part of a federation and finally independent.
Here the Pan-African colours are used the other way round.
A black human stick-figure in the central band was soon dropped from the flag.
Chad

This is a recent French-derived tricolour - mixing the colours of France and the Pan-African movement.
However, the colours also symbolise the sky and waters, the sun and deserts and valour and sacrifice in the struggle for freedom.
Ivory Coast

Yet another tricolour for another ex-colony of France which gained independence.
This time orange is for progress or the northern plains, green is for hope or southern agriculture and white is for unity.
Ireland

The green band is supposed to represent the Catholic, Gaelic and Anglo-Norman communities
while the orange is for the northern Protestants.
The white in the centre symbolises hope for peace and trust between them. That would be nice.
Senegal

Senegal followed the same route as Mali but replaced the stick figure with a star.
Cameroon

Despite its similar appearance, the Cameroon flag followed a slightly different route to that of Senegal.
It was split between France and Britain. The French part became independent first.
When the British part followed, the flag originally had 2 yellow stars representing the 2 parts (arranged vertically in the top left corner or canton).
Eventually the single central star replaced these in order to show national unity.
Canada

This is a fairly recent flag which attempted to satisfy all citizens, whatever their background.
It combines the national colours from one ensign and coat of arms with the maple leaf, an older emblem.

Back to Flags Index

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1038052

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more