Tic Talk-An Informative Essay On Tourette's Syndrome

1 Conversation

Tourette’s syndrome, also known as Gilles de la Tourette’s syndrome after the neurologist that described it in 1885, is an inherited neurological disorder. It is characterized by its unusual symptoms known as tics. Many individuals with this syndrome also develop a number of other behavioral problems such as attention deficit, hyperactivity, learning disabilities and obsessive compulsive disorder. Symptoms are seen as early as the age of two and typically occur during childhood and early adolescence.
There are two different types of tics that occur during the course of this disorder known as motor tics and vocal tics. Most individuals with Tourette’s gradually develop a combination of both. These symptoms typically occur a few times during the day usually during periods of stress or fatigue. Although it’s considered a lifelong disorder, patients may go for weeks or even years without symptoms. Many times these tics diminish during adulthood.
Motor tics are sudden rapid movements usually in the head and facial area. At first these tics merely consist of simple motor tics such as repeated eye blinking or facial twitching. These simple tics last for a very brief time and may repeat quite frequently. Less common are those tics known as complex motor tics which may consist of skipping, hopping, jumping, or repeatedly touching others. Complex motor tics are more coordinated and tend to happen in certain muscle groups.
Vocal tics are sudden involuntary recurrent vocalizations. Vocal tics usually begin as a single sound like chirping, hissing, or snorting but eventually progress into a more complex sound, or phrase. Complex vocal tics may involve three different types of repetition. Palilalia, repetition of ones own words or phrases out of context and echolalia, copying the last few words or phrases spoken by others are the two most common. These are seen quite frequently in the earlier stages of Tourette’s. Lastly, there may be involuntary, explosive cursing or compulsive shouting of obscenities which is known as coprolalia. Though the media shows this form of Tourette’s more than any other, studies have shown that these explosions of vulgarities occur in less then 30% of people with severe cases of this disease.
Diagnosis of Tourette’s is based on thorough observation of symptoms and family history. Since the genetic disorder is not well understood and over 90% of the complete set of gene in the human body has been excluded, there isn’t a definitive test that can be taken. There is however much evidence that Tourette’s is inherited by both parents if they typically had tics during childhood and the mother shows obsessive compulsive disorder. Researchers also suggest that abnormalities in the brains neurotransmitters and chemicals play a large role in causing symptoms.
Treatment involves the reduction of tics and associated problems. Though the tics are described as involuntary, usually patients can be taught to control these symptoms. Many people can hold back these tics for hours at a time but when they are finally expressed it leads to stronger outbursts. For extreme cases drug therapy may be used as well as injections into the muscles.
In conclusion, Tourette’s is a disease that affects many people in many ways. These tics are not only embarrassing to the patients but may also affect ones daily life. It interferes with writing, reading, and even walking. Researchers try desperately to find what exactly causes this disease and how they can cure it; however it still ruins the daily lives of those who suffer.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1012203

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more