A Conversation for The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words

Great

Post 1

Doltaghey House

This article is the dogs b****x! I'm glad the moderators didn't stomp on it. It's amusing that I (and most of the rest of the British population) uses words like these without having any idea of their origin. Your comment about the original name of Threadneedle Street makes me wonder if the name Threadneedle itself is not actually to do with tailors, but might be a euphemism for... er... what the prostitutes and their customers were doing there.


Great

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Like the 'Guild of Seamstresses' in Terry Pratchett. smiley - winkeye

Glad you like it. There is also a version that got away which is linked from my User Page, which includes stuff that never made it through to the edited guide. I cannot post a link here because it would be moderated away, I am only allowed the link in my U-space by special dispensation. Look for the section called 'A Short History of the Short Guide'.

Thanks

Ben


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more