A Conversation for Elite - the Original Computer Game

Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 1

C Hawke

You all may want to check out

http://www.cjpinder.clara.co.uk/elite.html

The guy here took the publically available source code and has re-written the orginal BBC game for modern PCs - it plays exactly like the original and yo need no emulators.

He is working on a new version, but seems a long way off. But this version plays so much like the old one brought a tear to my eye as I blasted Vipers out of the sky.

C(ommander) Hawke (Elite)


Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 2

C Hawke

Doh! must read other threads before posting - see someone has already plugged Elite TNK - but worth a 2nd plug no the less.

smiley - biggrin

CH


Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 3

bulmer

Hi,

I've started playing Elite the New Kind but there's a few things I don't like, for instance the lack of Identify the ship you are about to destroy. Now I have to take an up close look at the ship to tell what it is. I remember the thrill of seeing I was about to take on a Wolf. Also when I've killed somebody the bounty money is totalled up with my account, I like to know how much there life was worth without using a calculator. Other than that its great I've been playing for a couple of days now (that's another thing where's the counter to show me how much of my life I've been wasting) I'm hooked again!


Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 4

C Hawke

Ah, but you are talking about features on later versions of the original - Elite TNK is exactly as the original BBC B Disk version (more or less, he put back in asteroids which had been accidentally removed on the original version) - such ship identification, indeed ships like "Wolf" were never in the original.

Glad to see you managed to find a download site.

Chawke


Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 5

Josef_Stalin

I am mostly harmless, but getting less so because the link to the emulator for PCs doesnt work. ANY BODY who can find me a way of reliving my wasted time with Elite but on my PC will be given a date with Gwyneth Paltrow, a Mercedes (with tinted windows) and a small Caribian Island to own.

OK OK, maybe I am lying, but I would be very grateful


Elite The New Kind - PC version reverse engineered

Post 6

C Hawke

the link on F85875?thread=264682&skip=0&show=20 is still valid, don't wqnt to repost it.

But get it whilst it is still there - Elite TNK should have been removed from all mirrors some time ago.

Commander Hawke


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more