A Conversation for Great Castles

A Long List of Fave Castles

Post 1

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

I`ve been a castle buff for nearly 20 years now and have been to over 200 castle and fortress sites in the UK and Europe. Some have been the remains of mere Mottes in fields and some have been 19thC reconstructions of what people thought castles ought to look like (I`m not a great lover of the latter such as Cardiff, Castell Coch etc though - better than nothing but average substitutes at best for the real thing for the most part).

Here`s my personal selection of the best in the UK.

Caerphilly

Someone has covered Caerphilly already but it`s real majesty lies in its extensive water defences (much like what Kenilworth probably looked like). Its right in the centre of Caerphilly and its grandiose scale makes a real impact.

Kenilworth

Kenilworth too had outer water defences and withstood many sieges. Sadly gone now (but replaced by pretty watermeadows). The tilt yard can still be seen and worth a visit.

Warwick

A reasonably close neighbour to Kenilworth, Warwick is in good shape and one of the UK`s premier attractions. You can climb Guys tower for a huge vista over the warwickshire countryside. The original Norman motte is incorporated in latter works and it is set on a river. Good museum, dungeon and oubliette. Extensive gardens if you like that.

Dover

Close to being my favourite castle. You can see Hellfire corner (a ww2 command post), 17thC outerworks, secret passages, a roman lighthouse. The full bifta. Worth a serious visit - and you can try and get some of the Henrician artillery castles of the 16thC in at the same time (Deal etc) as well as places like Pevensy (Roman fort with Norman castle in one corner) if you get a wiggle on.

Dunstansborough

Built on the great whin sill on the Northumberland coast, Dunstanboro` can only be reached by a hike down a footpath and is a couple of miles from the nearest road. Like Corfe it is a romantic ruin and the rocks are great to climb over. Wonderful on a nice day.

Bodiam

Picture postcard Bodiam set in the middle of its lake was one of the last castles built under a `licence to crenellate`. It is a short drive south from London and a better destination in my view than Leeds or Hever. You`ve seen it in films and postcards all th etime but never knew where it was. Great ground for picnics if the weather is fine.

Beaumaris

If I had to pick one welsh Castle this would be it. Perhaps a surprise choice if you only know Harlech, Conwy and Caernavon but Beaumaris is the last great Edwardian castles built to ring Snowdonia and the best. An almost perfect concentric design but never quite finished. A little out of the way on the Isle of Angelsey Beaumaris is moated and has wonderful curtain walls, gatehouse and keep. If you know castles it is the UK`s Karak De Chevalier. Awesome and my alltime favourite bar none.

Corfe

Yup - already covered - the best ruin in England and a very pretty village to boot. Interesting history and its great siege in the English Civil war capped its fate -it was a Royalist stronghold and slighted by the victorious parlimentarians.

Maiden Castle

Not really a castle - an iron age hill fort but worth a visit to see the entrances and embankment . Try to work out how they did it just with antler picks and hard work. Maiden castle has atmosphere an dpresence. It is a spooky place (in a nice way).

Arundel

Much of what you see at Arundel is 19thC but it also has two splendid gatehouses, complete battlements, moat and the original motte. The town face of the castle is very photogenic and incredibly impressive.

Alnwick

Seat of the Percy family and one of the Norths great castles and on eof several in Northumberland worth a visit. Go at Alnwick fair time and you can have double the fun. Alnwick has wonderful battlements and is in pretty good shape due to almost continuous occupation from the 12thC.


Key: Complain about this post

A Long List of Fave Castles

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more