A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

Latin can be fun !?!

Post 1

Methos (one half of the HHH Management)

Okay, I had Latin at school for... let's see... six years. And it was boring. Learning the different conjugations, declinations, the ACI - whatever that was - ... And I must confess, that what little Latin I once knew, I have forgotten as fast as I got my Latinum.

And through all this years no one told me, that Latin could be fun ?!!! So, thanks for that!

Fortunately "Methos" sounds more Greek, so that I don't have to be too embaressed that I don't know that much Latin... No, don't ask me about Greek, please. But how about Mongolian or a little Lakota?

Methos


Latin can be fun.

Post 2

Nema Fakei

Greetings and other words, for example 'salutations'

Ah, yes; Latin is of course fun. I assume, then you have not read Catullus' writings; he often makes - quite funny - jokes at the expense of others. And have you not laughed at Pliny's pomposity.


Oh, and by declinations, do you mean declensions or to decline (or conjugate) verbs (which you have already mentioned)...

Nema Fakei


Latin can be fun.

Post 3

Methos (one half of the HHH Management)

Hi!

"Salutations"... Well, that reminds me of that greeting my Latin teacher used. It was something like "salvete -" and then something. I assume it meant "Greetings, pupils". But I can't remember it properly.

Oh, and I meant declensions. You see, that happens when you don't look a word up in the dictionary hoping it will be the same in English like in German by influence of Latin... Guess, I was wrong. smiley - winkeye

No, I haven't read anything in Latin. Actually I think my Latin would be much too bad for that but I thought about taking a course at the university... In school I always thought Latin to be that difficult, but after classical Tibetan and Mongolian - well, it can't be that hard, can it?

Where did you learn Latin? In school?

Methos


Latin can be fun.

Post 4

Nema Fakei

Yes, in school. I think the phrase might be "Salvete, discipuli". Anyway, I think that if you were to re-take up Latin, you should indeed read something by a good author; although I suppose there isn't much else to do with such an unused language.


Latin can be fun.

Post 5

Methos (one half of the HHH Management)

Actually I read "ars amatoria". In German, of course. Amazing how little has changed in 2000 years... smiley - biggrin

Methos


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more