This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It's political correctness gone mad

Post 21

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Let me amend that - reinforcing the prejudices of the wilfully blinkered, and the old adage...

Post 22

KB

I don't have any comment to make personally (because I don't think I'm well enough informed about the circumstances and events in Rotherham to do so), but I thought this piece was relevant and possibly interesting: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/29/rotherham-abuse-political-correctness-ludicrous. He does seem to make a few plausible points.

It's a lot easier to say "I was in fear of the political correctness brigade" than it is to admit you were useless/incompetent/derelict in your duties, and a lot of suffering and abuse happened as a result...

Post 23

Very true. It seems a bit of a stretch though, to imagine that someone would come with being thought of as a racist as a way to avoid blame for inaction. Which doesn't mean it couldn't happen - people will invent all kinds of stories to relieve themselves of blame for something. But again, like vox pops, I take most comment pieces, especially those in the Guardian, with a very large pinch of salt because, as I mentioned earlier, most of the writers never have, and never will, have direct experience of what they're writing about and see the world from a comfortable, white, right-on, middle class window.

Post 24

KB

I don't know that it is that far-fetched, really.

I'm not saying I'd take anything on trust, but some of his questions and points do seem plausible. For one example, there do seem to be issues of class/"underclass" at play, which might have been significant in the way things were handled.

As I said, I don't know the lay of the land well enough to offer an informed opinion, but I posted it here because it made some points that seemed worth considering.

Post 25

Aye, none of us will ever know for sure unless it comes out in the inquiry.

Post 26

KB

That sounds more like the Gosho I know. smiley - smiley

Post 27

Ooh, that gives me an idea smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more