A Conversation for Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

Peer Review: A18557328 - Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

Post 1

bobstafford

Entry: Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor - A18557328
Author: Bob Stafford (Keeper of The Treacle Shadow) - U3151547

I thought this to good to end up in the flea market. So I had a try at recovery. Comments please.

Bob...

A18557328 - Japan 3: Japan For The Visitor

Post 2

tibbysoo1

I loved the bit about conserving water, with the thought involved and just a little bit of effort.

In 1993 I was lucky enough to go to Toyohashi, Yokohama and Osaka, for some time.

It amazes you how empty of meat or even fish of any size, the supermarkets are.
Kobe beef was something like £100 a lb!!
The consomme crisps and curry puffs were the best this crisp addict has ever had, in all her world travels!
The bread was so sweet and the onions too, absolutely delicious!
I don't do puddings as a rule, but the humidity took its toll and I consumed many bright-green, melon flavoured, mounds of crushed ice.

On the train to Osaka, we tried chatting to some giggly schoolchildren, who did not speak any English, as it was not seen as essential anymore.
I thought it would be important, not as an arrogant belief that all cultures should revere our native tongue, but as the international language of the computer?

We were told by an interpreter at the local hospital, the reason why everyone stared at us and followed us round the shops, was because crime did not exist in Japan, and if it did happen it was due to westerners.
It is sad that information signs, have manga like cartoon people, and they all have round eyes. It can't be good for the soul, to dismiss or reject your race and cultures distinctive body image!!

How long would the street beer and coffee in a can vending machines, last on our streets?

I would urge everyone who can, to go there at least once to appreciate what a fantastic place Japan is!!!

If you get the chance

Post 3

Ormondroyd

smiley - applause A good rescue, Bob!

I think I'd be inclined to rewrite the long italicised section about Japanese washing customs, keeping the information it contains but putting it into better English. If you are going to leave it as a block quote then I think you need to state the source, but personally I found it hard to read because of the shortage of punctuation.

Also, the introductory paragraph switches suddenly from plural ('The modern islands...' into singular ('It is situated...'). Perhaps starting with 'The modern nation of Japan...' would be better?

Post 4

bobstafford

Hello Ormondroyd

All done please read and comment, thank you for the comments.

Bob...smiley - smiley

Post 5

bobstafford

Hi tibbysoo1

Thenk you for the comments please re read the entri as I have added some to the text. You have full credit of corse...

Nice to meet yousmiley - smiley

Bob...

Post 6

Ormondroyd

You've changed the opening sentence, Bob, but that long section in italics about bathing still seems much the same. It looks like a quote from someone - but who? And whoever said it, I think it would be better rewritten so that it's not in the first person and doesn't contain punctuation-shy passages like: 'I then remove my clothes drop them in the washing machine and enter the bathroom ,sit on a low plastic seat, take water from the bath with a bath bucket and drench myself wash hair swill from the bath or shower head put soap on my towel ,scrub my body with MY SCRUBBER that’s what I call it its the best thing to have been reinvented here in Japan just put some soap on it and enjoy.'

I mean, try reading THAT out loud! smiley - puff

Post 7

bobstafford

I inherited this from the original have you and suggestions thati CAN USE PLEASE.

Post 8

tibbysoo1

Dear Lovely Bob,
Thank you for being the second good person to make me feel welcome here.
I met Bel first, as I tried to put stuff in the wrong place, but she was really nice and helpful about it.
My ex husband was a Chief Engineer in the merchant navy, and I got to go to Japan a few times.
Now I'm into Japanese anime, Studio Ghibli, not all that nasty dodgy stuff!, it would be great to look around now.
Thank you for being so kind and letting me be included in your entry!!
My brother loved the Pochenko machines so much, he somehow managed to bring one back on the plane from the States!!
He was living in Dublin at the time and they seem altogether much more laid back than UK customs.
He's going to install it into his downstairs loo door, so you can play and doodle at the same time?? Many thanks again Bob!!
Soo,smiley - biggrin from near the 'Island of Lost Souls' Hamstershire!!

Post 9

bobstafford

Hi You are welcome and if you want to join any groupes I can recomend some. YOU WILL MEET SOME NICE PEOPLE.

A question
from near the 'Island of Lost Souls' Hamstershire!! where is that then or do I have to guess...

Bob...

Post 10

Ormondroyd

There's no need to SHOUT, Bob! smiley - cross And why can't you use my suggestion of rewriting that long quote so that it's written in proper English and not in the first person?

Post 11

bobstafford

Hi Ormondroyd
I have done that alerady but it still looks odd.
I am sorry about the shout the caps lock was on by mistake, I pressed the go button to soon.

Bob...

Post 12

Ormondroyd

That's OK, Bob! smiley - ok

I'm still a bit baffled by that passage, though. Is it saying that the Japanese always take baths and wash their clothes at the same time? That sounds a bit unlikely! Anyway, if you're no longer using a direct quote, then you don't need the italics.

Post 13

tibbysoo1

Isle of Wight, Hampshire,
Thanks Bob, I'd love to meet some new people, so if you could point this newcomer in the right direction, I'd be very grateful, and not so lonely on here
Do you need some info on me?smiley - smiley

Post 14

bobstafford

No sit tight tibby and I will give you some links tonight.

Post 15

bobstafford

Hi tibby
Start with this club the chat room can be fun

A1131751 The h2g2 Book Club

It is informal and I will see you there and introduce you, but join first.

Post 16

bobstafford

You on on the IOW if so where. town not addresssmiley - smiley

Post 17

bobstafford

Hi Ormondroyd

All done please check.smiley - smiley

Bob...

Post 18

tibbysoo1

Not Isle of Wight, but Lymington, which is not joined to it!!
Have left a message on the book club bit, and look forward to meeting you there
Soosmiley - smiley

Post 19

Ormondroyd

smiley - ta for disposing of the superflous italics, Bob, but that passage still contains a lot of spelling and punctuation mistakes. For instance: 'This a typical set up in a Japaese household, water saveing is second nature in japan' should read 'This is a typical set-up in a Japanese household. Water saving is second nature in Japan.'

If you like, I'll rewrite that whole passage about washing myself and post an alternative version here. You can then copy and paste whatever bits you like out of my version.

Post 20

bobstafford

Yes please Ormondroyd. I think you visualise it in a somwhat different form than I do.
Thank you for your help in this.

Bob...smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post