A Conversation for Editorial Feedback

EF: Ukuleles

Post 1

Recumbentman

A241057

I'd like, if I may, to make some amendments to this Entry of mine.

Subheader 'The Ravenscrag', first par.: We could have a more precise reference under the link 'some sources', namely
some sources

Second par. of the same subheader: we could add dates to Queen Lili'uokalani (1838-1917) and call her 'the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawai'i'. Perhaps a footnote is best, as for instance:

Queen Lili'uokalaniThe last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawai'i, Lili'uokalani (1838–1917) was equally keen on music and on the ill-fated independence of Hawai'i. The islands were annexed by the United States in 1898; Lili'uokalani had abdicated following a coup in 1895. Born Lydia Kamakaeha, it is an intriguing possibility, but still only a guess, that she may have taken her regal name from the title of the popular opera The Lily of Killarney which premiered in 1862, the year she married. Lili'uokalani became queen 29 years later, on the death of her brother King Kalākaua. Lili'uokalani composed over 160 songs, including the famous Aloha 'Oe.

We could also add dates to King Kalakaua (same par.):

Kalakaua1836–91. Reigned from 1874 to his death in San Francisco, California. He also wrote songs, including the current State Song of Hawai'i, Hawaiʻi Ponoʻī.

And one final thing: because of the chronology, the reference to Purvis should be rewritten (same par.) as follows:

Edward Purvis, an English player who had been assistant chamberlain to King Kalākaua

Is it permitted to include a link to the book mentioned in my last paragraph of all?

The `Ukulele: A History

I'm not confident of the survival of the horizontal dash over letters (second a in Kalakaua, the i in Pono'i). We'll see. If the software can't handle them, we can leave them without accents.

Post 2

Bluebottle

I can't see the accent (I assume you mean a macron) when I've tried. I don't know if Gnomon would know if we can add a macron accent – I'll ask.

<BB<

Post 3

Recumbentman

Best to omit them altogether. Here is Post 1 rewritten with this in mind:

Subheader 'The Ravenscrag', first par.: We could have a more precise reference under the link 'some sources', namely
some sources

Second par. of the same subheader: we could add dates to Queen Lili'uokalani (1838-1917) and call her 'the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawai'i'. Perhaps a footnote is best, as for instance:

Queen Lili'uokalaniThe last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawai'i, Lili'uokalani (1838&ndash;1917) was equally keen on music and on the ill-fated independence of Hawai'i. The islands were annexed by the United States in 1898, Lili'uokalani having abdicated following a pro-annexation coup in 1895. Born Lydia Kamakaeha, it is an intriguing possibility, but still only a guess, that she may have taken her regal name from the title of the popular opera The Lily of Killarney which premiered in 1862, the year she married. Lili'uokalani became queen 29 years later, on the death of her brother King Kalakaua. Lili'uokalani composed over 160 songs, including the famous Aloha 'Oe.

We could also add dates to King Kalakaua (same par.):

Kalakaua1836&ndash;91.Kalakaua reigned from 1874 to his death in San Francisco, California. He also wrote songs, including the current State Song of Hawai'i, Hawai'i Pono'i.

And one final thing: because of the chronology, the reference to Purvis should be rewritten (same par.) as follows:

Edward Purvis, an English player who had been assistant chamberlain to King Kalakaua

Is it permitted to include a link to the book mentioned in my last paragraph of all?

The `Ukulele: A History

Post 4

Recumbentman

Anyone willing to apply these edits?

Post 5

Bluebottle

Sorry, I'd meant to do this earlier this week…
Changes made now.

<BB<

Post 6

Recumbentman

Much thanks! smiley - ta

Key: Complain about this post