A Conversation for Bray Head Cliff Walk, Wicklow, Ireland

Peer Review: A87851532 - Bray Head Cliff Walk, Wicklow, Ireland - PR Version

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Bray Head Cliff Walk, Wicklow, Ireland - PR Version - A87851532
Author: Gnomon - U151503

This is a nice walk in County Wicklow.

This entry has been in Peer Review before, the conversation being at F22145045?thread=8313102. If you've anything to say, please say it here, rather in that conversation.

A87851532 - Bray Head Cliff Walk, Wicklow, Ireland - PR Version

Post 2

bobstafford

Excellent entry

Just spotted one tiny point

"Get DART from Dublin to Greystones."
might be better as
"Get a DART from Dublin to Greystones."

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - cheers

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Bob. Well spotted.

Post 4

bobstafford

You are welcome I welcome your comments on my entries I seldom get the opportunity comment on yours smiley - laugh

Post 5

Bluebottle

Just a quick couple of questions before I disappear:
Did the Dublin to Wexford railway line become the DART, or is the DART line a completely separate one? How long does a typical journey from Dublin to the area by DART take. (Is it worth mentioning that DART stands for Dublin Area Rapid Transit?)

(I did wonder, if Brunel was involved and it followed a coastal route, was it built as an atmospheric railway like he did down in Devon?)

<BB<

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

The DART shares the track with the mainline trains as far as Greystones, where it stops but the mainline trains continue.

Dublin's first line was an atmospheric railway, from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire, a distance of about 10 miles. I think it was the first atmospheric railway in the world. It wasn't very successful as the leather seal on the top of the pressure pipe was eaten by rats.

It's probably about 30 minutes from Dublin to Bray on the DART, but I'd have to check that.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I've checked. It's about 45 minutes from the centre of the city to Bray and another 10 minutes as far as Greystones on the DART.

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I've changed the second paragraph slightly so that it now mentions the DART (giving the explanation of what it stands for) and says that both mainline and DART services run along the track beside the cliff path. It think it is clearer now.

Post 9

Bluebottle

That's great – makes it nice and clear.

<BB<

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

The section of the path at Greystones Harbour has changed slightly due to some construction work, so I've rewritten that paragraph slightly.

Post 11

Bluebottle

smiley - taSeems clear enough. smiley - smiley

Growing up, footpaths always had at least a diversion somewhere, normally where the original path had fallen into the sea. All part of the joys of walking.

<BB<

Post 12

Bluebottle

A short, enjoyable read – I'd happily do it if I lived nearby. Have you walked the route in the other direction?

Did you want to perhaps add the year when you mention €3.50, perhaps in a footnote, as the price might change?
Also, 'Arriving in Greystones By Car' – should be 'Arriving in Greystones by Car' (you have lowercase 'by' in the 'by DART' section)

<BB<

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

I've walked it in the other direction, but it's not as good because it starts with the cliffs and gets more boring as it goes along. I prefer it the other way.

Other points attended to.

Post 14

Bluebottle

smiley - footprintsI've read through again and I've nothing further to add.

Out of curiosity, can you take bikes on the DART? It doesn't need to be mentioned in the entry as a bike is not much help if you're off for a walk, unless you want to say whether the Greystones Park & Ride car park has bike stands.

<BB<

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

The only sort of bike allowed is a folding bike in its cover. I don't remember whether are bike stands at the park-and-ride.

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm withdrawing this from Peer Review for personal reasons nothing to do with h2g2.

Post 17

bobstafford

Shame to see it gosmiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post