A Conversation for Male (Role) Models: Macaronis, Flaneurs, Crooners, Bronies

Bi-Bi Bi-Bi Bi - Okay Buckland

Post 1

Bluebottle

Was this the same Reverend William Buckland who named the first dinosaur when he scientifically described Megalosaurus ('great lizard') in 1824 (previously known as 'Scrotum Humanum').If so, did you know that in 1829 he became the first person to scientifically discover dinosaur remains on the Isle of Wight when he uncovered Iguanodon remains in Yaverland in 1829?

Buckland spent the glorious summer of 1832 at Yaverland and found five boxes worth of fossils, including a complete Hypsilophodon skeleton in his collection from the Brighstone area (but he failed to recognise it as a new species, believing it to be a baby Iguanodon – or quite possibly a Roman prostitute...)

<BB<

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl Amazing.

All sea lanes lead to the Isle of Wight, apparently. smiley - rofl

Post 3

I've been reading about Rev Buckland. Apparently, his wife was a geologist, too, and they spent their honeymoon going around hunting fossils...

It seems that once, she covered the kitchen table with paste, and they let their pet tortoise walk over it, to analyse the footprints...dedicated AND innovative...

She should get all the credit. She did all that, and had nine children.

Post 4

Bluebottle

So Mrs Buckland was able to combine the tortoise-ownership of a flâneur with the domestic responsibilities of a large family while still conducting pioneering research into geology and dinosaurs, before anyone else in the world knew what those bits of bone or footprints could be? Definitely a remarkable person.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 5

She must have been. smiley - biggrin

I also found Mark Twain's wisecrack about the brontosaurus.

'...Professor Osborn and I built the colossal skeleton brontosaur that stands fifty-seven feet long and sixteen feet high in the Natural History Museum, the awe and admiration of all the world, the stateliest skeleton that exists on the planet. We had nine bones, and we built the rest of him out of plaster of paris.'

'Is Shakespeare Dead?'

The Natural History Museum didn't admit that brontosaurus was a fake until the 1990s. smiley - rofl

Post 6

Oh, more on Mary Morland Buckland: she used to make leather models of dinosaurs. smiley - laugh

And their son could identify an ichthyosaur by its bones by the time he was four. What a family.

Post 7

Bluebottle

Quite a timely comment as they've just announced today that they want to move the Carnegie Diplodocus plaster skeleton from the Natural History Museum – although various newspapers etc are reporting that they're getting rid of it to make it sound more dramaticsmiley - yikeshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31025229

<BB<

Post 8

So they're still impressing people with 'gee-whiz' science? smiley - rofl

Post 9

Bald Bloke

I just hope there is a bowl of smiley - petunias
To go with the whale.

Post 10

cactuscafe

I think I'm about to faint. The weirdly wonderful ways of the world do make me want to faint sometimes. smiley - rofl. Just when you think it can't get more surreal, it does.

Great piece and accompanying picture. Unsettling. Tortoisy.

Post 11

smiley - laugh People are funny, aren't they? Thanks.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Male (Role) Models: Macaronis, Flaneurs, Crooners, Bronies

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more