This is the Message Centre for Icy North

Changing of the Guard

Post 1

Icy North

You probably saw today that Gnomon has stepped down as one of h2g2's Guide Editors. Thankfully for us all, he's staying on to help out with curating and sub-editing. I wish his replacement on the editorial team (when appointed) the very best of luck.

Hey, hold on a minute, there's something wrong with that paragraph. Have you spotted it?

It's not the spelling or grammar, particularly. And I think the meaning is clear enough. It's just the style: nobody wants to read me writing that stuff - it's for the Communications Team to do that sort of thing.

When the Community Consortium first took over from the BBC, and the senior volunteers were finding their feet and jockeying for position in Mrs Zen's gloriously complex organisational structure, we would get weekly updates on what was going on in each team. It was factual - and interesting enough, if that stuff interests you. But it needed livening up. I figured the best way was to write my own version "Before It Happens". OK, it was all made up, but the reports I got were that it was uncannily accurate.

The Powers That Were clearly decided this had to stop and took the only course of action open to them: they invited me to join the team as a Guide Editor. My credibility disappeared overnight.

I subsequently left the editorial role earlier this year, following an unexpected career event. I'm still too busy to apply to take it up again, but there's nothing to stop me relaunching the Before It Happens newsletter.

And if I did, one section may look a bit like this:

Guide Editors
--------------------

We are sad to announce the loss of long-standing Guide Editor, Gnomon, who has left in order to spend more time with his notion of perfection. We wish him all the very best in the future.

We seem to be having a run of bad luck in this role lately. A number of talented editors have resigned in recent months, and we were worried for a long time that there would be no suitably qualified replacement left in the community.

Thankfully, the management team have identified the last remaining candidate and we are happy for announce that the new Guide Editor is … No, hold on, we'll let them introduce themselves in their own words:

---

smiley - zen? BoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoBBoBBoBBoB BoBBoBBoBBoB

everybody do the Hoover, yeah, everybody do the Hoover yeah, everybody do the hoover, like we did last year zoom
Mmm bacon smiley - drool Need more bacon in pier revew smiley - snork

Changing of the Guard

Post 2

Baron Grim

smiley - roflsmiley - zensmiley - magic

Changing of the Guard

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - rofl

Changing of the Guard

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

There is something uncannily familiar about some of that text in the opening post in this conversation.... I just can't plaice my finger on what it is... smiley - fishsmiley - badgersmiley - run

Changing of the Guard

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

In other words, 2legs is running EVERYTHING now...smiley - run....smiley - handcuffssmiley - pony....smiley - run....

Changing of the Guard

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - headhurts

Changing of the Guard

Post 7

yea! unleash the new update to Pliney; the nighthoover skin! smiley - zensmiley - magic
Right... where did I put the nighthoover button... smiley - run

Changing of the Guard

Post 8

Malabarista - now with added pony

Mind you, we could then run the site on baguette...

Changing of the Guard

Post 9

scorp

Actually, getting 2legs involved would be no bad thing - we blame him for everything anywaysmiley - evilgrin

Changing of the Guard

Post 10

sure.... I meen, speling and all tat izn't to importent ore anything in guide entrys is it? I'm probably perfectly quackified for the job.... quick comma here, quick misplaced smiley there, hey presto, its hmm.... maybe not... smiley - runsmiley - silly

Changing of the Guard

Post 11

benjaminpmoore

Um....

Is anyone else a tiny bit scared?

Changing of the Guard

Post 12

It'll be fine... just as soon as the new nighthoover buttons and graphics are up, adn the nighthoover skin... sparkly stars and flying hoovers... smiley - zen then the fun can start smiley - evilgrinsmiley - badgersmiley - handcuffssmiley - zensmiley - flyingpigsmiley - winkeye

Changing of the Guard

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

I think I'll stick to my trusty "badger" skin, thanks.

Changing of the Guard

Post 14

smiley - bigeyes there is a badger skin? smiley - yikessmiley - runsmiley - badger

Changing of the Guard

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

It's got a few bugs in it. But badgers eat bugs, don't they?

Changing of the Guard

Post 16

smiley - snork how true.... If I stand in front of a computer screen though, with h2g2 up, in the badger skin, I kinda fade out of view and blend into the screen picture smiley - weirdsmiley - badgersmiley - zen

Changing of the Guard

Post 17

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - laugh

(smiley - strawberry)

Changing of the Guard

Post 18

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

The return of "Before it Happens" would be welcome.

BoB would be .... smiley - yikes

Key: Complain about this post