This is the Message Centre for Baron Grim

Happy Hootooversary To Me

Post 1

Baron Grim

For the very first time in 16 years, with a serendipitous reminder from Gosho's 16th anniversary of landing on our shores, I've remembered my hootooversary before it passed. (It's actually tomorrow, the 9th.)

I first logged on to this site in the Great Logon of 1999 on 9 September. That's a lot of 9s.

Apparently while most of that rushing crowd was led here by a report about h2g2 being featured on Tomorrow's World, I was lead here by an email (long since lost) from The Digital Village. I had given them my email address (also long forgotten, I think I was on Netcom or maybe even still on AOL 1.0) for information on the long delayed Starship Titanic. (I should see if it's still compatible with my current computer and replay it.)

I didn't stay long when I got here. I lurked for a few months and made just one comment about Traffic Jams ( F16720?thread=14340#p134949 ). I returned to a different place. I had missed the whole Rupert period and found this place under new management with the BBC. But it was still a great place to be. There were so many people here having so many diverse conversations and writing wonderfully esoteric entries.

I've been on this site now longer than I've done pretty much anything else in my life except my current job, which I had only started a couple of years earlier.

I've been here a long time and I don't see any point in leaving now. I saw the beginning of this place and I figure I'll see the end as well.

smiley - pggb

Post 2

KB

Can I buy you a smiley - stiffdrink and shake hands?

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - stiffdrink *waves legs* smiley - zen time is an illusion.... apparently smiley - zen

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

2legs time doubly so smiley - magicsmiley - zensmiley - weird

Happy Hootooversary BG smiley - cheerssmiley - bubbly I must have missed my own... 13th? 14th? Cos it was in August. I think it's 14th. Blimey.

Post 5

Baron Grim

smiley - cheers all.

smiley - pggb

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on the party hat
"smiley - musicalnoteHappy HooToo versary to you smiley - whistle

Count 3, 2, 1, Zero smiley - senior

smiley - giftsmiley - tekcorsmiley - bubblysmiley - rocket

smiley - cheers"

Post 7

Baron Grim

Well, while we wait for that mystery post to appear, (and to try to prevent it from hijacking my thread title and replacing it with "removed") I'll just post here to say that I would have remembered my hootooversary date today after all.

I forgot that I had set a Google Calendar reminder this year. smiley - magic

When I checked my mobile this morning I found the reminder.

Think we'll still be here in four years for the 20th anniversary of h2g2?

If so, I hope it's a much busier place than it is currently.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Baron Grim

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more