Oddity of the Week: Revolutionary Bunkum

0 Conversations

Historical revisionism can be downright embarrassing.

Lies Their Teachers Taught Them

Old calendar containing lies about history.

Historians, pah. Liars, the lot of them. From old Herodotus to Parson Weems, Early American mythmaker, they've told more fibs than a roomful of naughty schoolboys. Weems gave us George Washington and the cherry tree, George Washington throwing a dollar across the Potomac, and…the 'Swamp Fox', that Revolutionary War version of Robin Hood.

Balderdash. The South Carolinian was a bandit, pure and simple. He terrorised everybody down there into opposing the British. Otherwise, he'd burn down their houses. Nobody could catch him and his raiders, because they hid in the swamps. Hence the name.

In 1876, which was the centenary year for independence, an insurance company put out a calendar with this exciting, but bogus, story for September. We thought you'd get a chuckle. The story on the back involved Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox, abducting a British officer, blindfolding him, leading him to his lair in the swamp, and feeding him sweet potatoes until he gave up. When the British officer demanded to know why Marion's men fought without being paid, Marion told him was because of 'love of Liberty'.

Whose liberty? Certainly not his cook's. Note the slave in the picture. Yep. This is why we fail to be impressed. More likely, the yahoos in the countryside did what they did for sheer love of mischief.

The 'Swamp Fox' legend has a long reach. Aside from the film The Patriot, of which the less said, the better, Marion's story has been immortalised on Disney TV. Back in the 1950s, the freshwater pirate was portrayed by none other than Leslie Nielsen. (Yes, that Leslie Nielsen, of Airplane! fame.) You want to see it? Be our guest, if you can stand the singing.

Warning: history, especially of the heroic variety, should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. Especially if it shows up on an insurance calendar.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

29.09.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87839671

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more