A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 1

Geggs

The Doctor, and Jo Grant for that matter, appear in the two SJA episodes this week, in the story "The Death of The Doctor".

Now, these episodes are already on iplayer, and the second episode contains a very interesting, and probably controversial, line. I'll not mention it yet, to given you a chance to watch it if you haven't already, but if you have, what do you think?

For ease of access the links to the two episodes are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vmvyh/The_Sarah_Jane_Adventures_Series_4_Death_of_the_Doctor_Part_1/


http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vmwbr/The_Sarah_Jane_Adventures_Series_4_Death_of_the_Doctor_Part_2/


Geggs


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

I think there were a few set ups in there, and that that line (assuming the one you mean is the one related to the number 500and something) was probably a mixture of throw-away wind up the fans and a further indication that this will be changed somehow. He's already said he will do it and that the method is one he's discussed with RTD and is simple but rather cheeky.

BTW I also like the listing at the end of SJs googling results. Quite fitting I thought.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

And once you've seen the episode, read Russell's comments on the decision here:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/10/26/interview-russell-t-davies-talks-about-that-sarah-jane-adventures-line/

Have to agree with him - the issue in question is one that contradicted established events itself - and has subsequently been contradicted a few times anyway. Very easy to explain the problem away - or to explain away the line in this episode... which I loved, by the way.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 4

Geggs

And yet there is something mythic (not sure that's the right word) about there being a definate end point in the future. Like Robin Hood, or King Arthur, or Christ for that matter - the story becomes greater because of the death of the hero, and their knowledge that their death approaches.


Geggs


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 5

Bluebottle

It is a bit of an issue, especially with scenes where we see faces who may or may not be past doctors, such as in 'The Brain Of Morbius'...

I agree with him. Why not let there be 507 - let Doctor Who continue forever!

<BB<


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 6

IctoanAWEWawi

I think the thing is to make sure the Doctor is not immortal, that's the whole point. RTD is just messing with our heads, as he admits!


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 7

van-smeiter

The comments from RTD in the SFX interview, well, it sounds like him being a d@!k as per usual.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 8

Reality Manipulator

Brilliant episodes, I would say one of the best of the Sarah Jane Adventures.smiley - cool


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 9

Bright Blue Shorts

I really do enjoy SJA; just good solid kids-save-the-day television.

The episodes I've seen this series all seem to have an element of being derived from more famous films ... nothing wrong in that just noticeable.

The first story was very Nightmare on Elm Street.
Just watching "The Secrets of the Vault" which seems to have a Man In Black / Terminator type character.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 10

Geggs

This series ends next week. SFX is saying that it's the best pair of episodes yet.


Geggs


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 11

Bright Blue Shorts

Oh that reminds me ... the week before was a "Day of the Triffids" / "28 Days Later" type stuff.

Enjoyed last week's with the three main characters getting sent to different timezones.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 12

Bluebottle

And it is on later today too!

<BB<


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 13

van-smeiter

Very much enjoyed the two parts of "Lost In Time". Was it just me or did the girl Sarah-Jane was with not look exactly like a young Sophie Aldred?


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 14

Bright Blue Shorts

"Goodbye Sarah Jane" ... if that's supposed to be the best ever then it was more than disappointing, having only seen part 1.

"Lost in time" ... good story ... and yes, very Sophie Aldred.

Perhaps the schedules got confused because "Lost in Time" might have been the best ever.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 15

Bluebottle

I didn't think 'Goodbye Sarah Jane' was anywhere near the best ever. More like slightly below average. Worth watching, but not the best story this series and no-where near the best ever.

At least I managed to see it without the reception flickering.

<BB<


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 16

Giford

Just caught up with this... never mind that whole 507 malarkey, what about all the stuff about past companions that flatly contradicts all the novels.

(At least, I think it probably did...)

Gif smiley - geek


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 17

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Bearing in Mind that some people hold The Novels' Status in cannon at Semi Accepted. Meaning that Until Televised material Contradicts it, Rendering it Void, Its Cannon.
Basically TV Takes Overriding Command in writing Continuity. I accept this Because it means Ace, Though Sadly Does not become a Time Lady. Happily she Doesn't get Killed in the Time War


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 18

van-smeiter

Ah, but she might have been killed in the time war and it just hasn't been mentioned on screen smiley - winkeye

TV is canon; the DW books are an interesting side line.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 19

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

She was Mentioned In "The Death of the Doctor" which takes place after the Time war. She's doing Charity work apparently.


Sarah Jane Adventures

Post 20

Bluebottle

Is no-one else watching the last ever series of the Sarah Jane Adventures?

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post