Meteor Showers

2 Conversations

What are they?

Meteors are dust particles in space, the remains of broken-up comets; which the orbit of the planet Earth passes through.
The meteor shower is seen from the surface of the Earth as the dust particles hit the Earth's atmosphere and burn up; creating an awesome display for the lucky inhabitants who may be sky-watching.
There are solitary ones occasionally, the fabled "shooting star"; and romantic-minded people like to make wishes on these unexpected occurances.
Most meteors are about the size of a grain of sand and fall silently. However, low-streaking ones have been heard to "whoosh" as they burn up.
Meteor showers are named after the constellation in which the radiant is located. The radiant is the origination of the meteor shower.

Planning your viewing

On a clear night, the best place to view this spectacular display is from a dark-sky viewing area, away from street lights.
No special equipment will be required. Viewing by naked eye is recommended as by the time you had trained a pair of binoculars in the direction of one, it would be gone before you could find it.
If your choice of viewing area is private property, be sure to attain the permission of the landowner.
Remember that the temperature will drop so you will need to be wearing several light layers of clothing, or wrap yourself in a sleeping-bag.
Flasks of soup, coffee and tea are also recommended for your vigil.

Dates to view

  • January 1-5
  • .........................QUADRANTIDS
  • April 19-24
  • ..........................APRIL LYRIDS
  • May 1-8
  • ...............................AQUARIDS
  • June 10-21
  • .........................JUNE LYRIDS
  • July 25-August 18
  • ..............PERSEIDS
  • August 18-22
  • ......................CYGNIDS
  • October 16-27
  • ....................ORIONIDS
  • October 10-December 5
  • ...TAURIDS
  • November 14-20
  • .................LEONIDS
  • December 7-15
  • ...................GEMINIDS

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A461134

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more