The h2g2 Post 15.05.23

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 15th May 2023

Friendly Faces

Montage of images from this week's issue of the Post: a soft-eyed calf, drops of water on a leaf, a mysterious cat sticking out his tongue, a white flower in the woods, and a goose with an impressive wingspan.

I've got a request for you readers: look at the photo montage above. Then look at the one from last week. Compare the two and tell me what you liked and didn't like about them. I have a reason for asking this. It's research.

I made last week's montage by hand. In Paint. Not Paint 3D, just plain old garden-variety Paint. It took me about 15 minutes. I was satisfied with it, although I made a mental note to do something better with the text placement next time.

The very next day, I got an email from Microsoft. It seems I'm on their list (list? What list? They have lists? This is ominous) to beta test their new Office product, which is called Designer. Okay, I'm a long-time Office user, so I'll give it a go. Designer's got an AI in, of course it has, and it wants to know what I want to make – a cute Insta post, mayhap?

You can see where this is going.

This week's montage was made by the Designer AI. With some help from me. Loading the photos and telling it what to do took about 4 minutes: 2 for me to find the photos and words and 2 for the AI to ruminate. (It chews its cud: I can just hear it.). The AI threw up some suggestions, of which one was actually usable if I changed the text and explored the image-editing features, etc. In all, it took about 20 minutes, but that could be speeded up with practice.

So what do you think? Do we give the AI a passing grade, as long as it's under adult (well, okay: not exactly 'adult') supervision?

Whether handmade or AI-fiddled-with, the montage is there to give you a glimpse into this week's issue of the Post. We've got an incredible variety of things to show you: wildlife, domestic creatures, creatures that have domesticated us. Plus humour, cinema, thoughts of the stray variety, comics, cartoons, and…fiction, of course. These stories are surging on towards their endings. If this were television, we'd tell you they were in their final seasons. (Of course, there may be sequels…) So pay attention. If you need to catch up, we have archives. I worked hard on those archives due to the cyberattack fiasco, so I expect you to appreciate. Who am I kidding? No, I don't expect you to appreciate, but it would be nice.

So read, already. Think about the Create topic and send me something: photos, stories, essays, videos, whatever you've got. And have a great week out there!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Yf ye evir feele bad about makinge mistakes, remembir that we all say "Pandora's Box" by cause supposed scholerlye genius Desiderius Erasmus mistranslatid the Ancient Greeke worde for "jar.".

– Chaucer Doth Tweet
Clock face from inside, by Carol M Highsmith.


May 2023 Create Challenge:
When Time Stood Still


Video Extra:
Red, Red (American) Robin
Click here in Ripley


SPIRITED ANIMALS
A Whole Mood

Sagrys with tongue out, by Willem.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT


GLIMPSES


Future Lilies

Lily stems and leaves with a distinctive pattern.


SIGHTS AND SOUNDS




The Pipes of Alness
(Video)

A Scotch pie, by Paigetheoracle.
Many faces of life, graffiti
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88021596

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more