Anhingas Nesting

1 Conversation

Anhingas Nesting

This Week a pair of anhingas decided to build a nest on a low-hanging branch of an oak tree over a pond outside our window.

Anhingas live in Florida year-round. They are also called "water turkeys" because of a turkey-like fantail. Some call them "snakebirds" because they can appear to be a watersnake with only a long black neck and head above water.

If we get a visit from a flock of 15-20 anhingas, they swim side-by-side underwater, along the length of the pond, surfacing with the small fish they have herded for lunch.

Anhingas by Phred FirecloudAnhingas by Phred Firecloud

The males tend the nest during incubation (in July) an average of 55% of the time compared to 45% for the female. The darker male gathers about 81% of the nesting material. This male seems good at ripping off tough oak twigs and branches.

Anhingas can dive 60 feet deep, soar with the thermals, and fly flat and level very fast..they have a flat, cross-shaped appearance in flight.

Here is a video titled 'Nesting Anhingas'.


Bob's Blog is here.

The Phred Firecloud Report Archive

Phred Firecloud

13.07.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87990556

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more