The h2g2 Post: 20.07.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 20th July 2020

The Whole of the Moon

Crescent Moon by DG
I saw the crescent

You saw the whole of the moon…


Mike Scott

You've probably noticed that our planet is going through some hard times right now. There's real suffering out there this summer, and real death. People are struggling through medical, personal, and financial crises. Those of us of whom nothing more is asked than to stay out of the way, wear a mask to protect others, and keep ourselves usefully occupied are trying our best to be helpful and supportive.

Which is a reasonable introduction to the contents of this week's issue: instead of grumping about, Post contributors are looking, and listening, and thinking about it all. We're trying to get an overview by paying attention to detail.

Maybe this way, we'll see the whole of the moon.

We're pottering about in nature. We're using our imaginations. We're working on our human skills, and picking up power tools and pens and computer keyboards and paintbrushes and musical keyboards. And if we get a bit desperate sometimes, we can always go out and howl at the moon.

At least we'll see it.


We have good Stuff for you this week. Amazing stuff. So incredibly amazing that I'd better get the descriptions over with so you can hurry and enjoy it all.
Japanese Beetle and Ladybug on Lily by DG
  • The nature photography is primo stuff, as usual: Willem tells you about another duck you never knew had ever existed. From bugs to flowers to sunrises and sunsets, there's a lot to admire.
  • Signs of the times are here: the sidewalk's closed (again), but SashaQ found a very sensible spider.
  • We have fiction! You are going to love this. Reefgirl's back with another installment of 'It's in the Cards'. Freewayriding has gone gloriously wild on us with 'HighLandscaper', which combines epic action and high-tension gardening, with an appearance by an old favourite. I have taken full and perhaps unfair advantage of the Freedom of Information Act, and turned an FBI file into a trip down musical memory lane in 'Those Jungle Drums Are Driving Me Mad'.
  • Of course, we need reader expertise. Another flower we can't name. Another photo that needs a caption. A picture quiz.
  • Awix is back with cinema, and Ben Moore is back with news from the lockdown front. Bluebottle, Willem and I have cartoons and comics. Freewayriding generously shows you how to make your own backyard planters for next to nothing. Some elbow grease is required.

We hope you enjoy this issue. We hope it distracts from pain and soothes jangled nerves. We hope it makes you laugh. If so, please share with friends – we like new readers. Send us your public art stories and photos. And have a good week!




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:   Well, I mean, yes idealism, yes the dignity of pure research, yes the pursuit of truth in all its forms, but there comes a point I'm afraid where you begin to suspect that the entire multidimensional infinity of the Universe is almost certainly being run by a bunch of maniacs.

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
July Create Challenge:
Public Art:
Its Works and Pomps



And Now, a Shameless Plug
for our FABULOUS MERCH!
Post logo t-shirt
T-shirts! Buttons! Tote Bags!
TOWELS!!!
No, we don't get all the money. We get about 5 bucks/euros for each t-shirt. But you're supporting the cause and getting wearable bragging rights. You'll be the envy of every hitchhiker from here to the Crab Nebula. Designed by Tavaron da Quirm.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

ANIMAL LIFE
Marbled

Marbled White Butterfly by Tavaron

OUR MENTAL LIFE
(Such as it is)

  • Video
  • The lion sleeps tonight.

SUNRISE, SUNSET
(Stories in between)


Factoid Fred and
the Moveable Fair Rock

Fair Rock by Paigetheoracle


SIGNS OF SUMMER




Austrian Summer
Veronica by Tavaron
THEN AND NOW

MORE STORIES
(With Pictures)


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989099

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more