Kayaking with Icebergs (with Video)

1 Conversation

Kayaking with Icebergs

Columbia Glacier Ice Field by Phred Firecloud

After driving about 5,000 miles from Florida on a trip that took six weeks, we arrived in the port of Valdez, Alaska. We spent some time catching salmon and coasting our bicycles 10,000 feet down the mountain into town, Now Mrs. Phred wants to Kayak around a glacial ice field. Neither of us has been in a kayak before. The water temperature in the Prince William Sound is around zero centigrade. What could go wrong?

It's a two-hour boat ride to the Columbia Glacier Icefield from Valdez, Alaska. After an hour, we pass Bligh Island, where young Bligh and Captain Cook looked for a Northwest passage. Bligh Island is where the Exxon Valdez hit the reef. They spent $20 billion on cleanup and recovered 11 percent of the spill. Exxon lost the lawsuit over the cleanup costs 20 years ago, but the case is still on appeal.

Columbia Glacier Ice Field by Phred Firecloud

We see Orcas hunting seals and salmon. As we kayak through the icebergs, several seals pop up to take a look at us.

The icebergs from the bottom of the glacier are brilliant blue. The ones from the top are so dirty gray that we mistake them for rocks. The only bad thing that happened is that one of the kayaks caught fire and sank. I guess the old saying, "you can't have your kayak and heat it too." is still true.

Columbia Glacier Ice Field by Phred Firecloud

On our second trip to the Icefield, ten years later, the icefield has retreated another seven miles due to warmer water.

Here's a funny video of the kayak in the bergs.


The Phred Firecloud Report Archive

Phred Firecloud

27.04.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87981538

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more