The Phyto-Philes: South African Winter Garden, Part 1

0 Conversations

Winter Gardening in South Africa

Willem is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours. . . but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Aloe pegleronae


Wintertime in South Africa is dry, but not particularly cold. My garden gets hardly any frost. I make a point of having lots of plants that flower in the winter, attracting nectar-drinking birds as well as insects. Aloes, especially, are a major food resource in the winter, and are visited by many birds not necessarily thought of as nectar drinkers, such as weavers, bulbuls, orioles and woodpeckers. My first photo shows an Aloe peglerae, a small species with a compact rosette that remains at ground level. This is a rare species, confined in nature to the Magaliesberg region. Many succulent enthusiasts have removed plants from the wild, substantially reducing the population. I've grown mine from seeds.

Aloe muderensis


The next shows Aloe mudenensis, a medium-sized species. This one comes from Kwazulu-Natal, and though it has a limited distribution, there are still many left. It develops a short stem and rosettes reaching about a metre in height. The flowers are borne in compact heads at the tips of a branched inflorescence. They vary in colour from yellow to red, with various intermediate shades of orange and pink.

Aloe rupestris


The third photo shows an Aloe rupestris, one of the largest aloes, reaching 8 m/27' in height, although mine is still small! It has bottle-brush-like flowers emerging in branched heads. This species is also rare in South Africa, found only in the warm far eastern regions. This one and the previous one I grew from seeds as well.

To see some of the invertebrates attracted to Willem's winter flowers, Click here.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

06.10.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87840075

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more