The Green Man: Part Five

0 Conversations

A couple of weeks ago, Rod shared a new project with us. Let's catch up on his progress.

The Green Man: Part 4

More tools.

...more tools.



On the right, the shavings tray then, to its left, three mallets. The

big one is Oak with an Ash handle, made many years ago. The two smaller ones are a lot more recent, made with less love - but work just as well, in context.

On the tray, from left: eraser, pencil, ruler then a sawn-off paintbrush of the cheap one inch variety (sawn-off to make the bristles a bit less flexible, to grab more shavings). Following that, an old vernier caliper many times dropped but still accurate enough for this sort of work, then an adjustable Try-Square, also still good enough.

Green Man, Part 5

The wood stick with a steel bar and wing nut is a depth gauge, made long ago, for measuring / checking depths of turned wooden bowls - the bar can slide, while the wing-nut secures or slackens it. Next to it, two cardboard templates – Mouth and Lower Face, which locate snugly in His nose.

Finally, the LRRP, without which I would not be – my Little Red Rubber Puffer, acquired when the Uni at Newcastle got a new computer one-quarter the size & 100x the power of 'mine'. My remote boss – the maintenance contractor –– came to take back all the valuable stuff, saying 'Rod, take what you want – and have a happy life'. It gets used after moving a handful of shavings to the waste tray and after the sawn-off paintbrush collects most of the rest. It puffs all the little, catchy, bits out of the way.

Articles by Rod

Rod

28.10.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87813840

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more