Staying on Message

0 Conversations

Words, words, words. That's what we're made of. Herewith some of my thoughts on what we're doing with them.

Writing Right with Dmitri: Staying on Message

Writing right
What is h2g2?
h2g2 is a constantly expanding, user-generated guide to life, the universe and everything.

It says so – in large, friendly letters on the 'About h2g2' help page. h2g2 is a guide, not an encyclopedia. It is high time we took that seriously. But what does it mean?

Suppose you want to know something about the Florida Keys. An encyclopedia will show you a map, tell you how many islands there are, possibly how they were formed geologically, what kind of wildlife, vegetation, and ecology they sport, who has lived there, when, how many battles have been fought, and many, many statistics about this place. This is fine – if that's what you wanted to know.

The Edited Guide will tell you about the Conch Republic, a fascinating bit of recent history. It will also tell you about The Everglades National Park, and warn you about alligators. See? Useful information. What you wanted to know. A good Guide Entry will also point you in the direction of where you can find more information – such as a map, opening times, and possibly where to find some sunscreen.

The following are a few tips to make your GUIDE entry a guide, and not an encyclopedia article.

How to Stay on Message

  1. Think of a question. Make sure your Entry answers that question.
  2. Stay on the subject.
  3. Use useful links.
  4. Be brief.

Huh?

1. Think of a question. Make sure your Entry answers that question.

Look at the Guide Entry called The Vernisage in Izmailovo, Moscow, Russia. What questions does this entry answer? 'What can I buy at the Vernisage? What do I watch out for? How do I get there?' Logical.

What if you want to write about something less specific, like, say, London? A subject like that would take up pages and pages and pages of the Encyclopedia Boreana. What do we do? Break it up into relevant topics. How about The Music Pilgrim's Guide to London? Get yer rock and pop stars here. It asks – and answers – a few simple questions: what famous music stars are connected with London? What are the major sites? How can I see them?

No matter what topic you pick, it is possible to organise your material around a simple question or two (or three). Your reader will thank you. Your editors will thank you. Your brain will thank you.

2. Stay on the subject.

Yeah, what I said. An editor friend of mine told me, 'Always keep an Outtakes File.' What a great suggestion. The interesting factoid you found that won't fit in this week's Guide Entry can always go in another. Be a pack rat, don't throw anything away. But this week, stick to the subject at hand. Keep asking yourself: is this information helping to answer my question?

That doesn't mean you can't take fun side trips. Just make sure the side trips are rewarding to the reader, and not just you. (Talking to yourself is the worst writing habit we can think of. Ask your Significant Other.) Make sure, too, that the side trip is at least marginally relevant to the topic at hand.

3. Use useful links.

Recent feedback in Peer Review: 'This Entry leaves me wanting to know more.'

Author's reply: 'Good.'

It should. Otherwise you're probably boring them to death, or committing Information Dump, a cardinal sin. Use good linkage to guide the reader to further information. Have a 'for further reading' section, so they don't wander off before they've read your Entry through. Point them to links within the Edited Guide and outside in the wide webworld that will help them along.

Just keep those links on-topic.

4. Be brief.

Full confession: being brief comes naturally to this Researcher. I was brought up to regard longwindedness as evidence of inferior reasoning and inflated ego. (Seriously.) Others may not have been so fortunate.

Keep this in mind: They're bored long before YOU are. Get in, get out. Be to the point. Keep the READER in mind. If you want to write to hear yourself talk, there are blog spaces out there. If you're trying to communicate, stick to the subject and don't bore the audience.

A good Guide Entry follows the miniskirt principle: long enough to cover the subject, but brief enough to be interesting. (I wouldn't have repeated that somewhat sexist analogy, but it made Vip snork.)

Remember: ask (and answer) a question, stay on the subject, use good links, and be brief. Be kind to your readers, and they'll be kind to you.

For Further Reading

Go to Peer Review. Pick a Guide Entry. Read, comment.

Go to the bottom of your Personal Space. Look through your personal list of Guide Entries. Reread them. Ask yourself: 'What questions did I answer? What do I want to do with my next Guide Entry that's even more spectacular?'

Happy writing!

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

08.04.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87790215

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more