The Rockford Flies

1 Conversation

Another of the Max Rebo chronicles. This one concerns…

The Rockford Flies

A suitcase for all reasons

In the winter of 197-, Max came down with a bad case, its hinges broken, its combination locks jammed. When he shook it, we heard a sound like broken glass and bits of cotton wool so we figured it might be valuable. We were as curious as a dead cat. Deciding to crack it open, I fetched my axe from the bathroom and Max split the case like a melon. Inside was a large paper package wrapped in sellotape.

After dinner, we worked at opening it with knives, scissors – anything we could find. Nail clippers, forks, knitting needles, lasers, shards of glass, damp bits of cotton wool, anything. Finally, we cleared it. Inside was a melon. Max was pleased with this and danced around the room until he put his foot through the coffee table. We dabbed his wounds clean with cotton wool, which we then discarded all over the carpet along with the glass and the melon. Unable to control his hunger, Max licked the melon off the carpet and sucked on the largest glass fragments. The next day, Max came down with a bad case of food poisoning.

I told Max I thought we should send for the doctor but we had no one to send so I went instead. Max came with me.

Later, after he'd recovered, we decided it was time to move on. Of course, Max couldn't move at all because of his paralysis so I rolled him down the drive and hooked him to the back of the car. We drove like that all the way to Llandudno. I wanted to go there because I admired the Great Orm and the Little Orm but couldn't remember which was which. When I parked and got out, Max had gone.

The following morning, Max was all over the news.

The Max Rebo Archive

jodanchudan

14.03.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A82437898

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more