The Role of Adhesive

1 Conversation

Glues and adhesives have played a vital role in the development and growth of humanity. They hold together the most unlikely things including computer parts, clothing, aircraft and so on. Before we look at the adhesive properties of food, we must define the components and forces involved.

    Adhesion - This is the binding force between two different materials.

    Cohesion - This is the binding force between two similar materials.

    Physical Bonding- This is where the materials being glued (the substrates)absorb the glue to varying extents into their surfaces. The glue itself is viscous and will set, thus locking the substrates together.

    Chemical Bonding - This is where the glue forms a chemical reaction and chemically combines the two substrates together.

    Electrostatic Bonding - Is where the "glue" is an electrostatic charge bonding the two surfaces. Each surface having opposite charges.

    Food - Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.

Adhesive or Glue is a multipurpose tool which is incredibly versatile and can get you out of a scrape in a moment's notice. If you need it urgently then you'll find that glue making materials are closer to hand than you think. Alternatively you could pop down the shops and buy a tube if you really wanted to. The question that is probably on your mind is why make glue out of food?

    Food is often a readily available substance.

    Food is relatively cheap compared to adhesive per se.

    The environmental impact of food is relatively small.

    Much food goes to waste and is not good enough to eat or has been left around too long.

With this in mind, we can now look at the various food groups and the merits of each in a bonding role.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A771653

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more