Bacon and Onion Pudding Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bacon and Onion Pudding

1 Conversation

In today's world of easily-accessible fast and convenience foods, it's easy to forget our favourite childhood dishes made by our mums (in those days it was usually the mums who did the family cooking), and wonder whether today's young generation will have similar pleasant culinary memories or if they will just remember the humming and bleeps of the microwave oven and the toys that came with their fast food restaurant meal.

The following recipe for bacon and onion pudding takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare, two hours to cook and serves four people.

Equipment

  • Kitchen scales
  • Large mixing bowl
  • Medium mixing bowl
  • Sharp knife
  • Chopping board
  • Fork
  • Tablespoon
  • Large saucepan
  • Pudding basin - china or heat-proof glass (such as pyrex) or a plastic basin with lid
  • Greaseproof paper or muslin to cover pudding basin

Ingredients

  • 110g (4oz) self-raising flour
  • 55g (2oz) shredded suet (beef or vegetable)
  • 6 - 8 fl oz water to mix
  • Pinch of salt
  • Four rashers of raw bacon, chopped
  • One onion, diced1
  • One Oxo cube2 (optional)

Method

  1. Using a large bowl, add the flour, salt and suet and mix well using your fingers.

  2. Starting with a few tablespoons, add enough water to mix together until it forms a soft (but not sticky) ball of dough.

  3. In the medium bowl using the fork, mix together the chopped bacon and diced onion, then crumble the Oxo cube (if using one) on top, and mix again.

  4. Separate the dough into three unequal lumps; small, medium and large. Flatten the smallest one out between your hands until it fits snugly in the bottom of the pudding basin, and place it in the bottom.

  5. From the bacon and onion bowl add just under a half on top of the dough.

  6. Using the medium piece of dough, again flatten between hands until it fits snugly on top of the bacon and onion mix.

  7. Place the remainder of the bacon and onion mix on top of the dough.

  8. Finally, flatten the last piece of dough. You may need to use a floured surface and rolling pin, until it fits snugly on the top, then secure the lid, or place greaseproof paper and tie with string.

  9. Place into a large saucepan with water at around half to three-quarters up the side of the basin.

  10. Bring to the boil, cover with the saucepan lid and simmer for two hours. Check the water level regularly to make sure that the pan doesn't boil dry, and top it up with boiling water from the kettle to maintain the level if needed.

Or if you have a pressure cooker or an electric steamer, follow the manufacture's instructions for suet pudding.

Serve and enjoy.

1Cut into small pieces.2Known as bouillon cubes in the US.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A7715577

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more