A Conversation for The Major Villains of 'The Lord of the Rings'

The Blue Wizards

Post 1

The Apprentice

In his letters, Tolkien said:

"I really do not know anything clearly about the other two, since they do not concern the history of the northwest. I think they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Númenórean range: missionaries to 'enemy-occupied' lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron."

Of their names, while it was not mentioned, they have become known unofficially as Alatar and Pallando. I do not know whether this has been taken on officially in any form by the Tolkien estate; but, these names first appeared, to my knowledge, in the Iron Crown Enterprises collectible card game of the late 90's.

Radagast - it would seem - fell to the same fate as the rest (including, to some degree, Gandalf) by giving into lures of the mortal world. Saruman was turned by Power, Gandalf was giving in to the lure of his senses (his liking for the calm, the people and the Weed of the Shire) and Radagast gave in to nature.


The Blue Wizards

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I read the names Alatar and Pallando in something written by Tolkien himself. I can't remember where, though.


The Blue Wizards

Post 3

The Apprentice

Excellent... a response to my comment 5 years, 2 months, 3 weeks and 4 days (or thereabouts) after first making it.

smiley - biggrin

I'm certain the names did indeed come from canon material created by Tolkien himself - but my first awareness of the names definitely came from the game.

smiley - cheers

The Apprentice


The Blue Wizards

Post 4

Mystrunner

Now, if only I could update my article, some 8 years later, I would do so!


The Blue Wizards

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Of course you can update your article.

If it is a small change, just request it at Feedback / Editorial, saying the A number of the entry and exactly what you want done to it. One of the Dannys will have it done before you can blink.


The Blue Wizards

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Or I should say Danny B or David B will have it done in a flash.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more