A Conversation for Isle of Wight Radar During The Second World War

Isle of Wight radar sites

Post 1

Researcher 216874

With reference to the Woody Bay reserve site; can it possibly have comprised one 350' metal transmitter tower and one 240' wooden receiver tower? The concrete bases are roughly identical in size and are only about 3 metres apart - they seem too insubstantial for such vast towers. Can you point me in the direction of any photographs?

Any idea of the location of the Bembridge site?


Isle of Wight radar sites

Post 2

Old-Don

RE the RAF St.Lawrence site.
This was a standard 'Buried Reserve' site and it used two 120' foot wooden towers to support the aerials. If you want to see a picture of them look at my website www.westwight.clara.co.uk which is Google's first choice for RAF Ventnor. Choose the CH page and near the bottom there is a link to a small RAF St.Lawrence page.
Regards
Don


Isle of Wight radar sites

Post 3

Old-Don

For information about RAF St.Lawrence try :-
www.ventnorradar.co.uk
This is a new version of the former site mentioned above and has more photographs.


Isle of Wight radar sites

Post 4

Bluebottle

Thanks Old-Don.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more