The Stanley Cup... Conclusion.

1 Conversation

Game 6.


June 7, the Colorado Avalanche were a team possessed by one thought: If we don't win this game, not only is it the last game of the season but Ray Borque will never get to win his last game. Naturally, this was a great motivator.

At the beginning of the game, the Avs looked sluggish, almost as if they were giving into fate. The New Jersey Devils made several good attacks on the goal, but Patrick Roy, the winningest goalie of all times, was able to stop them all. The only puck to cross his goal line was disallowed because Scott Gomez of the Devils had kicked it over1. And then the miracle happened.

From the blue line, defenseman Adam Foote scored a goal.

This was the catalyst that the Avs were waiting for. Suddenly, that catapulted them into action. Determined not to let the Devils have the Stanley Cup for the second time in as many years, the Avs played on to a 4-0 victory, assuring a Game 7 and the chance for them to win the Cup at home.

Game 7... En Route to Perfection.


Saturday, June 9, must have dawned brighter than usualy for the Avs. The game started and they were on fire. The Devils, though, were not going to give up without a fight. Out-shooting the Avs in all three periods of play, they showed continued drive to win.

Unfortunately for them, their drive was for naught. With a 3-1 victory, the Avs clenched the series and claimed Lord Stanley's Cup for themselves.

Patrick Roy, after a wonderful season and an excellent series, won the Conn Smythe trophy for Most Valuable Player during the playoffs. Teammates all agreed that he deserved this honour. This was the third time he had won it - yet another record for the man who has now won more games and had more playoff shutouts than any other goalie ever.

In what was perhaps the most touching moment of an emotional season for the Avalanche, team captain Joe Sakic handed the Cup to Ray Borque. (Note: Generally the captain hoists the Cup for the first skate around the ice.) Eyes welling with well-deserved tears of joy. Borque hoisted the Cup above his head, then brought it down to kiss the sterling silver. This was the first time in a 22 year career that he had won the Cup and was able to touch it.

Congratulations, Ray.

Gw7en


The Ice is Gone


After a triumphant season filled with grit and toughness, the 2000-2001 National Hockey League season has concluded.

At a ceremony on 14th June, the awards for the league were given out. Joe Sakic, captain of the Colorado Avalanche, was awarded two trophies for his achievement this season. Playing in all 82 regular season games and missing only two games in the post season, Joe fired his team to an incredible height. Leading by example, the captain of the Avalanche scored more than anyone else in the league save Jaomir Jagr. He scored more power play goals than anyone else. He was tied for highest plus/minus rating2. With these accomplishments, Sakic was awarded the Hart Trophy for Most Valuable Player to his team.

He also was awarded the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy for most gentlemanly player of the year. This trophy is given to the player who exhibits the most gentlemanly behaviour whilst maintaining a high level of skill. This year Joe Sakic saved his team in a stretch when four star players were out of the lineup due to injuries. A goal scorer and a defensive forward, Sakic is one of the greatest players in the league today.

Unfortunately it is possible that the star forward may not be with the Avalanche next season. This year he becomes a free agent and could very well sign to play with another team. If Super Joe (as he is known to sportscasters everywhere) leaves the Avalanche, he will be going away from the only franchise that he has ever played for in the NHL. This dedicated fan hopes that the management of the Avalanche sign Joe and keep their MVP captain. Next season looks bright if this future 'Hall Of Famer' returns to Colorado to continue captaining the team to another Stanley Cup.


Marv the Grate


21.06.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Something not allowed by the National Hockey League.2A rating where if you are on the ice for an even strength goal by your team you gain one point, if the opposing team scores even strength you lose a point.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A580178

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more