The Trinity

1 Conversation

This is Week Seventeen of Giford's Bible Study Programme.

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

1 John 5:7-8

Length: 2/5

Controversy: 4/5

Top Verses Rank: 250

This verse (known as the 'Comma Johanneum') is the only one in the entire Bible that specifically explains the doctrine of the Trinity. There is just one problem - there is no trace of this verse in any manuscript, or in any early commentary, until Ciprian in the 3rd Century (and it is disputed whether he thought it part of the text of the epistle). Instead, it read 'For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit, the water and the blood: and these three agree in one.' This is Bart Ehrman's no 1 verse not found in the NT.

Christian Responses

The doctrine of the Trinity is central to modern Christian belief in all major sects. There are several places in the Bible where the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are mentioned - notably Matthew 28:191, but also frequent references by Jesus to the Father and to the Holy Ghost. None of these states that 'these three are one', but there are numerous Biblical instances of God being described as 'one' or unique. It is therefore possible to argue that the doctrine of the Trinity can be supported Biblically without reference to the Comma Johanneum.

However, all this requires some intricate interpretation, and counter-arguments based on the text are therefore also possible. Many early Christian sects saw Jesus very differently - Ebionites, for instance, believed that Jesus was a mortal man whom the Holy Ghost entered at his baptism, based on John 1:322. Other adoptionists3 thought he became divine only at his Resurrection. Mark and Paul respectively may have held these views, and Jesus is quoted (e.g. in John 14:14, Matthew 19:175) as saying that God is separate from Jesus. It is even possible that these were the majority views among early Christians, although this is not certain.

Looking at it another way, we could easily argue that Jesus and Lucifer are the same person, based on them both being described as the morning star (Jesus in Rev 22:166, Lucifer in Isiaih 14:127). No-one would agree with that, and yet without the Comma Johanneum it seems to be on an equal scriptural basis with the doctrine of the Trinity.

It is very likely that the 1 John verse was inserted specifically to counter such arguments. The Council of Nicaea in 325 AD declared Trinitarianism to be the official church doctrine and all other opinions heresy, and it has remained the orthodoxy ever since.

1'Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost'2'I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him'3Adoptionists believe that Jesus was 'adopted' as the Son of God at some point during his life, rather than that Jesus has existed forever as an equal part of the Trinity.4'ye believe in God, believe also in me'5'Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God'6'I, Jesus [...] am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star'7'How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!' - although note that this is in fact refering to a King of Babylon; the story of Satan's fall from Heaven is another Christian interpretation with no basis in the Hebrew texts.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A54866127

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more