An American at h2g2

0 Conversations

Hi, I'm Dave Gustafson, a 19-year-old student from the U.S. working as an intern with the h2g2 editorial team for the next few months. My home school, the University of Missouri, belongs to
a consortium of Missouri schools that send students to study at Imperial College in London for a semester. Some students take a full schedule of courses while others, like myself, opt for a
voluntary journalism or business internship with evening classes two nights a week.

I am taking a journalism course on Mondays, and 'British Life and Culture' on Tuesdays. On Wednesdays, all 95 of us pile onto the Tube or a coach for guided field trips as part of our British Life and Culture course. There are a few weekend excursions planned including Paris, Amsterdam and pony-trekking in Wales.

The study-abroad program with which I am affiliated is the Chicago-based International Enrichment, Inc. Company representatives interview students at their home universities to inquire about where they would like to work in London and assess job skills. I stated I would like to work at a company that would let me combine my love of writing with my new media interests. In December, I received a letter telling me I had been chosen to work as a sub-editor for h2g2... based on a successful interview.

I, like many of my friends, read The
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy when I was younger and loved it. Many of them were envious when I told them I would be working for a famous author. In my interview, the editorial team told me I would be doing writing, editing and some technical work much to my delight. This
looks like a fun place to work. Let me know if I can help in any way.


Dave Gustafson


24.01.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A494804

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more