The Nappy Diaries

1 Conversation

A baby holding a bottle of baby oil.

The moment was at hand, the time finally come. After nine endless months that seemed to go by in a flash, we were about to hear the doctor tell us what a beautiful baby girl we had. The pink Winnie-the-Pooh sleeper and cap were in the overnight bag just waiting to be worn. Mr B's thoughts were of plaiting pigtails, while I was concentrating a bit further in the future, to the point where I would understand why my mother always said having adult daughters was worth the cost of having to raise little girls.

'It's a boy!'

It's what? Are you sure?

Much to everyone's constant annoyance, I had bucked the trend of finding out my baby's gender in advance. I wanted a daughter, and I didn't want someone coming along early on telling me I was going to have a boy. I wanted to think about dolls and dresses without distraction. I wanted to browse the frilly booties and pink blankies while shopping for my necessities; I wanted to consider flowery bedsheets, I wanted to compare the lacy nightgowns with the far more practical footed bunny pyjamas. I figured at the end of nine months I'd be happy enough to have a baby, and not so concerned with whether it was a son or a daughter.

Of course, I was realistic about it, too. Most of the clothes we bought in advance were boys things that we could make girly in a pinch with accessories. We had more than our fair share of white, yellow and green things - clothes, towels, sheets, blankets, toys... And, naturally, next to the pink Pooh sleeper in the overnight bag was the more neutral white tee-shirt, yellow jacket and green striped bottoms. Just in case, you see.

I think I was just a little disappointed at first. Briefly. But in no time at all I was deeply in love with my youngest son, and happily returned the little dresses. Well, most of them anyway. I may still get a little niece some day.

+-+-+-+

I've spent a good deal of time comparing my own experiences — it's been nearly ten years since I've been on diaper duty! A lot has changed, yet much remains the same. One thing that's changed is the number of magazines I've subscribed to, and newsletters as well. So much information to digest! I wasn't online ten years ago and so could limit the ammount of conflicting advice I received; at least to a degree.

Nowadays I just have to take all that advice with a grain of salt. Putting some of the information to practical use could yield worthy results, be they positive, humourous, dumb or downright disastrous. So I present to you my new (hopefully) regular column: The Nappy Diaries.

By way of introduction I'd like to list our primary participants for future reference:

  • broelan: (that's me!) Mom Almighty
  • Mr B: My husband, the daddy, not to be confused with Master B; his long-deserted U-space is here.
  • broe jr: My oldest son, now 10.
  • SuperChunk: The newbie, born the day of the HHG film release, forcing me to surrender my pre-purchased tickets.
  • Mark: My ex, junior's dad. Still a member of the family in good standing; his cobwebby U-space is here.

Next Issue: Living in a generationally diverse household, or It Takes A Village.

broelan

04.08.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A4638909

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more