A Conversation for The Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Return to Duck Lake

Post 1

anhaga

a little more than 120 years after the battle at Duck Lake, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Cree are united in mourning for one of their own:

'Police officers from across Canada were among thousands of mourners attending a funeral service Friday for one of two RCMP constables who died after investigating a domestic dispute in a Saskatchewan community earlier this month.

The body of Const. Robin Cameron, 29, was returned on Wednesday to her home community, the Beardy's and Okemasis First Nation reserve near Duck Lake, Sask., about 90 kilometres north of Saskatoon.

Both Cameron and Const. Marc Bourdages, 26, died last weekend, nine days after the July 7 shooting in Spiritwood, Sask.


Beardy's Chief Rick Gamble, a former member of the RCMP, told mourners at Friday's service that "a heinous act of aggression" had robbed the reserve of a source of inspiration.

"Const. Robin Cameron was a gregarious young lady who had a winning smile and a talent for making acquaintances," he said.

"Robin didn't demand respect. Instead, she commanded respect — by the way she carried herself, by the way she treated people."

In her honour, Gamble said a learning centre on the reserve would be renamed the Const. Robin Cameron Memorial Educational Centre.

A video feed at a local high school and five outdoor tents were set up to handle the overflow of people attending Cameron's funeral — a full regimental service combining RCMP and aboriginal traditions.'

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2006/07/21/cameron-funeral.html


Key: Complain about this post

Return to Duck Lake

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more