Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

1 Conversation

Labrador is a territory within the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. It occupies a fraction of the surface area of the Province, and contains a small fraction of its population.

Labrador may be divided into three parts:

  1. Coastal fishing towns which benefit from centuries of isolation to produce a population that is used to living in isolation. People go between these towns by boat, when the harbours aren't frozen (which is to say, six months a year). Even then, they still have to dodge icebergs.

  2. Inland towns which were entirely built since 1941. Their inhabitants lack the benefit of centuries of isolation, and produce a population with a tendency to either leave town. People go between these towns via the Trans-Labrador Highway, when it's not snowed under (which is to say, six months a year).

  3. Forest - the inhabitants here are entirely migratory, and almost entirely four-legged.

Each town in Labrador focuses on one industry, be it fishing, military, mining, or hydroelectric. During the winter, travel tends to be by aeroplane only.

Labrador is largely a political colony of Newfoundland, and an economic colony of Quebec (which established the mining and hydroelectric industries). Labrador residents, like people everywhere, grumble about their politicians and 'higher-ups'. Labradorians are very independent-minded, and hate being called 'Newfoundlanders' or 'Newfies'.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A375482

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more