Take5

0 Conversations


Every day five or more newly approved entries are recommended on the h2g2 Main Page. These go by unnoticed to most users as they focus around their own page. This weekly article points out and reviews the most entertaining and interesting entries of the week, as far as I'm concerned anyway. My tastes do not reflect yours in any way and feel free to have completely different ideas from mine, it is after all a free country.

Alfred Packer - the Colorado Cannibal. Now I know food is hard to come by in the middle of nowhere, but this guy really takes the biscuit (well he would have done if there was any available). Worry if this bloke ever invites you to dinner, which he won't as he is dead!

Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do Try saying that after 10 pints, let alone actually been able to do it. Now the closest I get to a martial art is watching a Jackie Chan movie, but if you want to know more, here is a good start.

Land of the Giants Aaahhh these take me back; cheap tacky shows from the sixties and seventies with bad acting and gaudy coloured cardboard sets. Re-live those Sunday mornings as a kid watching cheap and cheerful T.V. shows.

Quarks Not the barman out of Deep Space 9 (Shame! Ed.) but something very small indeed... like my bank balance. If you're well versed in particle physics you will already know all this lot, but if, like most of the population, you aren't a genius but want some pointless facts to baffle people with next time you're at the pub, take a look at this entry.

RISC OS Computers Now I have a friend who is a die-hard Acorn fan and he tried for many years to convert me from my then-ageing Amiga to a Risc-Os based machine. Fortunately I saw some degree of sense (though this is debatable) and got a P.C. instead. I was, however, impressed with what I saw at the time. If they developed the P.C. with half the intelligence that they did with this machine life would be a lot less stressful.

Sambal Another entry on food that has grabbed my attention (I must always be hungry when I write Take 5!) but anything that uses chilli's in everything has to be mentioned.

Suet Pudding Well what better to have after all that spicy stuff than a fattening pudding. One of my ex-girlfriends used to love these things and now, due to eating so many of them no doubt, resembles a beached whale (I'm really glad she won't get to read this LOL). I found that they resembled eating a dish of lard but each to their own taste.

The Council of Nicea Further proof that all religion is just a means of control and that it is as fictional as the Great Britain Passenger Rail Timetable. This entry states how political and Church leaders of the time altered religious doctrine to suit their own needs and how they got around some of the problems this caused.

Things That Go Bump in the Night Leave the light on at night do you? Bit of a coward after dark? Well get a grip of yourself and read this entry to find out how ridiculous you're fears are... and get a good nights sleep!

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia Deserves a mention just for it's brilliant name. A small entry on a small town.


Shorty


22.05.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A335521

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more