Pilgrimage to the Ozarks - The Grand Finale

1 Conversation

Suwannee River

U-Boats and Sparkleberries

Suwannee River State Park, Florida – June 28, 2006

We rushed home from Montana to Florida and spent most of June cleaning out the old house and putting our things into a storage Unit. We've signed the closing papers and said goodbye to old friends and neighbours. Now we are heading back to the Ozarks and the meet with President Hypatia.

We pull off the road in North Florida about 2 PM. The Suwannee River State park contains gushing springs, a series of sinkholes and two black water rivers: the Suwannee and the Withlacootchee. There are exotic tree here including the sparkleberry, cypress, holly and persimmon. The rivers cut though limestone rock banks. An informational sign says the water level was much higher 20 million years ago when the limestone rocks were formed during a period of global warming.

I put out the awning just before the typical afternoon summer thunderstorm hits hard. We take a two-hour nap and then start a new non-fiction book, Shadow Divers. The book is about the exploration of a German U-boat in deep, cold water off the New Jersey Coast. I've read another book called Final Dive about the same U-boat that focused on a father and son that died diving on this wreck.

Fireworks

Arkansas Picnic and Fireworks

Mountain Home, Arkansas - 1 July, 2006

We stop to visit with other Ozark friends. Jerry the mechanic puts on a show. Jerry is an Arkansas mechanic and he celebated his tenth year in business with a barb-b-que for 50 people and a five hour fireworks display.

Swimming in the Buffalo

Buffalo River, Arkansas 2 July, 2006

We go swimming in the Buffalo River and my friend, Paul and his family put on another three hour show with pretty explosives.

The Alabaster House

Webb City, Missouri 3 July, 2006


We arrive ay Hypatia's home in mid-day.

I concentrate on photos of Hypatia's garden. The afternoon is spent in far-ranging conversations in the garden.

Pararie Purple Cones

The Grand Finale

Webb City, Missouri – 4 July, 2006

Hypatia has organized a great H2G2 meet, unlike any other. The day begins with her southern-style biscuits and sausage gravy.

We tour Hypatia's new library in the morning. She has beautifully restored the old historic building and added a large new wing that blends tastefully with the old building. This is a project that will proudly endure.

The Library

We stop on the way back from the library to see 'Sucker Flat' (the remnant of an old mine) and the town amphitheatre and a student's art project called 'praying hands'. Hypatia says she made a basket instead. The H2G2 group predictably spends and hour debating the history and characteristics of amphitheatres.

The afternoon is spent with backyard croquet matches and 'beer-can' chicken for lunch. The Ozark rules require you to wear a 'funny hat' if you play out of turn. We decide that artificial objects such as trampolines and tents can be moved if they interfere with play.The game must be played to the sound of 'Carmina Burina' in accord with Ozarkian custom.

Hypatia has three bearded cousins. About 6PM we all drive to the home of one who has organized a wonderful picnic including watermelon, hot dogs, burgers, cookies, home-made ice cream, baked beans and fresh corn.

The cousins pull out all the stops with water balloons, marshmallow guns, and a home-made potato cannon. Potato cannon propellants include Right Guard deodorant, hairspray, automotive starter fluid (ether), Lysol spray, and Faultless Spray Starch. The cousins are very friendly and interesting. They show me how to build my own spud launcher using a bar-b-q gas grill igniter to set off the charge.

The cousins put on a spectacular fireworks display after dark. We say our real time goodbyes to Hypatia and her other H2G2 guests. On the twelve mile ride back on the motorcycle in the darkness, it appears that every resident of Webb City is still setting off explosives.

Here are the photos from the Ozark Meet.

The Meet

The people in the group photo are (from left to right) Xantief, Phred and Princess Firecloud, Jim MagicHands and HealingMagicHands, Bagpuss (with Sam Adams Summer Ale), President Hypatia (in hat), Lord Chattingly behind, then Broelan, Lady Chattingly, Afgncaap5, Spy.

THE END

Pilgrimage To The Ozarks Archive

Phred

13.07.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A13082366

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more