A Conversation for The Congolese Civil War 1960-1964

Patrice Lumumba's position as Prime Minister

Post 1

legendaryLaura

Hi,
This is just a correction to some misinformation which stated that Joseph Kasavubu appointed Patrice Lumumba as Prime Minister. Please check your sources, for it was Patrice Lumumba who had been democratically elected to lead the minority Congolese government in June of 1960. Further, it was he (Lumumba) who appointed Joseph Kasavubu as president shortly thereafter.

Some suggested soures:

Dayal, Rajeshwar. Mission for Hammarskjold: The Congo Crisis. (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1976)

Hoskyns,Catherine. The Congo Since Independence, January I960 December 1961 (London: Oxford University Press, 1965)

Kalb, Madeleine G. The Congo Cables: The Cold War in Africa from Eisenhower to Kennedy. (New York: Macmillan, 1982)

Or any credible newspaper writing on the subject of the Congo 1960-61.

All the best,
Laura


Key: Complain about this post

Patrice Lumumba's position as Prime Minister

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more