Meanings of unusual place names in Essex

1 Conversation

Essex has many curious and interesting place-names, as any study of a large-scale map will show.

'Toot Hill' - it means a look-out place and is at Standford Rivers. The twin parishes of Totham, Great and Little, derive their name in the same way.

'Nipsells Rayments' it cabn be found at Mayland and East Horndon. The Nipsells was 'Cripps' spur of land but the word 'Rayments' is quite obscure. It could be a manorial expression.

'The Bumpstead' seems to come from the words 'a hollow stem' and 'reeds'. Reeds are still grown in the streams there. Of the two parishes Helions was held in 1086 by a Breton who came from Heleon in France. Steeple Bumpstead once had a steeple or spire to its church.

'Hobby Binns' at 'Stebbing' It was orginally called 'Hob of yndes.' William de Inde and Alexander Avynder of the thirteenth century gave us the corrupted form 'Bins'. But 'Hob' unless this too is a later form could be hobgoblin or fairy, which is the familar form of Rob or Robin. It is not marked on the usual maps.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1107082

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more