Hate me, hate my car: the investment of time and money should mean something

0 Conversations


Ach, an' I thought you wanted it fixed!


Those of us who take automobiles for granted, deserve what we get,

a continual background of worry about what might fall off and why.

Personally, I like my bike.

Here is a bit of ranting and raving and just generally burbling along by our Motor Topic correspondent (No, no, we're just good friends!),

Edith Aaronspawn.


Edith Aaronspawn:

Time and space.

Time and space.

We leave in a world of time and space.

Do I have time to get where I am going and will there be a space to park in when I get there?

The car, the auto, the motor vehicle.

The reason we go to work and the way we get to the shops,

the metal and plastic bane of our existence and the thing we spend less time researching before we buy it than we do our footware.

A box on wheels.

With a glorified squirrel in a cage under the bonnet.

Demon spawn.

A gift from the Gods...

(Not likely, with the interest rate I'm paying!)

I am afraid that I have become so tired of driving something that looks like everyone else's melted soapbar of a European sculptor's wet dream that I have added a few things.

My garageman has protested, but I pay him too well for it to persist beyond the initial shock stages.

He knows which side of his you-know-what is buttered by you-know-who, and I wish they'd both stop it, because my relaxation tapes are no longer having the desired affect!

I have decided that I should have my vehicle painted in a distinctive manner, like a mood ring.

Thus, every other idiot on the road can see what kind of mood I am in and deal with me accordingly.

I am trying to ignore my sister's contention that one of the hues on the mood spectrum suggests that I am randy...

I also think I will have a forklift installed unobtrusively into the front, to assist with parking and traffic jams.

I will have a video camera, such as the Police use, installed fore and aft and on each side.

This will allow me to ameliorate any legal contentions that my driving is erratic.

When they see what the other four-wheeled Pachinko balls are doing in relation to my activities, then they will forgive me and possibly give me a driver of the year award.

I also want an outside device that will pick up the dominant harmonic frequency of any music emanating bombastically from any vehicles near me and reintroduce that frequency as pink noise!

I think that I need a computer program, combined with the GPS, that will tell me the optimum route around the dominant lemming trails.

I always leave early for any trip, so that I can avoid most of the lemmings who have to always shave their trip time to the last minute, so that they are always in a hurry.

But, try as I might, because of the stupidity of managers who design start and end times for factories and businesses, there is always a pocket, a clique, a crowd of single occupant vehicles...

all going to the same place.

Why can't the businesses and factories just send out buses and get everyone at once?

I'll tell you why. Because the employees see their automobiles as status symbols.

Pleh!

If they were unique, maybe. But if you are driving a box indentical to fifty thousand others, and three of the same color are in your company's car park...then,

what does it all mean?

And that is the question I leave you with... what does it all mean?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1019756

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more