A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How active is this site?

Post 1

Sarld

Due to my belated love of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy franchise I just finally decided to join H2G2 and i'm curious as to how many people still readily use this site. Thanks!

How active is this site?

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Hi, sarld

Every time I think I have a handle on the number of researchers, I notice another corner of H2G2 where there are researchers I was only vaguely aware of.

The H2G2 Post is such a corner. Full of life and creativity. How could I have been so remiss as not to have been following it all along?

Well, Now I can start.

How active is this site?

Post 3

Baron Grim

Compared to earlier days, it's not very active. The vast majority of Researchers here left smiley - elvis long ago.

That said, there is still a die-hard core of folks, new and old, still here, still writing new material, commenting on various articles and topics, generally conversing, and having a great time blathering on about nothing of particular importance.
smiley - oksmiley - cheerssmiley - towel

How active is this site?

Post 4

Bluebottle

Some of us even blather on about particular topics of unimportance.

<BB<

How active is this site?

Post 5

Sarld

Thank you very much for your reply! That's somewhat what I was expecting, but it's nice to hear it's still moderately active smiley - smiley. Thank you again for your time!

How active is this site?

Post 6

I would like to think that the sum total of our blathering is immensely educational and useful. We talk about space shuttles, brown birds of South Africa, the misuse of psychological terms, dogs that are allowed to get into pubs and pee on people's coats, rain, rain, rain, snow, more snow, and so on. It never ends. Before too long, we'll know where it's too hot, where too many politicians have been sighted smiley - yikes, where climate change is or isn't occurring, and how many articles on making curries* we'll need in order to attract more viewers to this site. smiley - smiley

*An article of curry was one of my first guide articles back in 2001. There were two other researchers involved. One has been banned for life, and the other smiley - elvised long ago.

How active is this site?

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

some of the off-topical blathering, is merely topical blathering, that hasn't yet become topical... topics can be so fickle like that... one moment badgers are all the flavour of the moment, the next its something all about random kitchen countertops made in Spain... and before long, it will end up being something so truly inexplicable, that we cannot even start to comprehend the merest inkling of a clue as to its topical nature from our current position of witch's hats, nad iron stoves... which are, unless I'm much mistaken, the exact moment in time's topic of the moment... maybe...

Having said which, it sure seems quiet round here of late, and certainly compaired to the way-back-when days of the even more distant and hoover-like past... smiley - zensmiley - badger

How active is this site?

Post 8

2legs, maybe you could help Dmitri make a short video with a title such as "Night with Hoover."

smiley - run

How active is this site?

Post 9

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Banning people from anything for life never seemed like a good policy to me.

smiley - pirate

How active is this site?

Post 10

bobstafford

Look upon H2G2 as a genial association of friends, who are curious about the world.
Do not be relucrant to share your views your comments will be welcome.
Where are you from is a good start. I am from the UK but I have lived in Spain, Turkey and France.

Just get involved, there is no set level of participation just mellow into site.

How active is this site?

Post 11

ITIWBS

I'd also like to extend a welcome, Sarld.

How active is this site?

Post 12

"Banning people from anything for life never seemed like a good policy to me" [Mr X]

There were researchers who objected to the banning at the time it happened. I have wondered since then whether we were technically the same site after the BBC dropped us, or a different site. If the researcher wanted to come back, how would we react now? Just wondering. smiley - smiley

How active is this site?

Post 13

Icy North

One thing's for sure, they don't like it discussed on site.

The BBC were more democratic about these things during the height of the site. People could appeal against bans and there were on-site discussions. Some of that material probably still exists somewhere.

How active is this site?

Post 14

Sorry, Icy, I didn't mean to open a smiley - canofworms. I was more or less thinking out loud and mostly hypothetically. There are so many websites that a person can migrate to nowadays that people who are unwanted in one place can often find somewhere else to go. Of course, we have the cachet that people should want if only they knew it. smiley - smiley

How active is this site?

Post 15

Bluebottle

That's 'cos if you publish the banns, people would think we're getting married smiley - silly

<BB<

How active is this site?

Post 16

You mean we aren't? smiley - winkeye

How active is this site?

Post 17

Bluebottle

Well, you haven't asked me yet smiley - tongueout
smiley - grovelsmiley - love

<BB<

How active is this site?

Post 18

I'm too much of a confirmed bachelor, I'm afraid.

How active is this site?

Post 19

Bluebottle

My wife will be pleased to hear that smiley - winkeyesmiley - brokenheart

<BB<

How active is this site?

Post 20

Icy North

Well if that doesn't scare off new joiners, I don't know what will smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post