This is the Message Centre for Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

wheesht

Post 1

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

wheesht - scots english - be quiet/silence

I spent Saturday in Manchester, we got the train to Oxford road station then went to university museum
smiley - monster enjoyed the exhibits especially the dinosaur trex called stan
it was a long day and we hadn't really planned on going to Manchester at all smiley - erm
and considering that manchester is the second closest city yo us (if you count preston - I wouldnt personally have you seen preston)
the train was rather pricey

This Thursday is smiley - monster birthday party its his actual birthday on the 21st but apparently half term isnt good for parties
the party is at one of these soft play factorys smiley - headhurts but it is his first year of primary school and is probably the only party of this type he will have

what is the social etiquette for parents at such things?

Charlie is seven months old today smiley - wow currently unconscious on my left arm
hes been happily playing with his basket of toys already this morning and is currently on three naps a day

tonight we are going to grandmas house to make pancakes
Joe seems to have made enough batter to swim in smiley - rofl

I'm waiting fot the post man lets hope he doesn't interrupt nap time smiley - wah

smiley - doctor Anthea

wheesht

Post 2

Geggs

Social etiquette for parents at soft play warehouses: find a chair, a comfortable one if possible, and sit and chat with the other parents. Let the kids go off and do their thing. Only become concerned if you haven't seen your child for five minutes, then if a quick scan around the various structures doesn't locate them, excuse yourself from the other parents and go hunting. If they are okay when you've found them, return to your seat, if it hasn't been taken, and resume chatter.

That pretty much covers it, I think.

Geggs

wheesht

Post 3

those places are so loud I don't know how parents can talk,
perhaps we need to develop a play area specific type of sign language for those moments between releasing our children into the chaos noise pit of doom and them coming out to ask for drinks/food/toilet or to complain that another child has bumped into them with some obvious (for your childs view) malevolent intent

wheesht

Post 4

I thought i had burnt myself cooking pancakes
the first two fingers of my left hand momenterally brushed against the pan
thankfully today they appere fine though there is a tiny blister on each finger at the knuckle
they are not red and there is no pain
a lucky escape i think

wheesht

Post 5

SomeMuppet

I'm glad you escaped 3rd degree burns.

And I'm also glad to see someone I knew way back from before times still on here, though I don't know if you'll recognise me at all.

Funny how the use of the Scottish polite version of "Bl**** shut up you monster" attracted me to the thread.

KJ

wheesht

Post 6

smiley - laugh you will note i used the polite version of the meaning for educational purposes smiley - winkeye

I sort of remember you in a "i feel like i know them but dont know for sure" sort of way but thats how i know some of my old school friends too - I've a terrible memory for people

smiley - cheers

wheesht

Post 7

SomeMuppet

Well sometimes you have to educate those less fortunate than us who were born to a higher plane nationality wise.

Yeah I haven't been on this site since 2005, I think we may have ran across each other in the Assassins guild, and possibly in word games - again my memory isn't that great since as my kids keep reminding me, I'm getting old now.

wheesht

Post 8

smiley - biggrin
I'm attempting to teach them slowly but surely smiley - snork

yes we have probably run into each other before, the site has changed a bit since 2005 no?

wheesht

Post 9

SomeMuppet

Just a wee smidge. No Auntie, no slanties, and everytime I've tried to get on it's been up and not having some strange database / maintenance issue.

And you have to teach them slow cos they cannae cope wi a fast speakin Scot ye ken smiley - winkeye

wheesht

Post 10

SomeMuppet

And I've just realised where else we'd have met. The Underguide, I was an unofficial miner, dredging up entries long neglected but worthy of a wider audience.

wheesht

Post 11

they are building a new site and updating this one so hopefully mantenence error will soon be a thing of the past

Ah yes the underguide i was a polisher for a while, not sure how i feel about its passing

I live amoung the great uncultured down south for a while now though I've been hoping to move back for a while now you do get used to talking slower

wheesht

Post 12

SomeMuppet

I haven't had a maintenance error since I recovered my account a couple of weeks ago. On the Beeb by now I'd have seen at least one.

I see the AWW still exists, I even took a wee swim to the bottom of the entries and opened up one at random just for old times sake. It was good. Pity the Underguide has departed, but I suspect it's spirit lives on.

And as for talking slower, I use my accent to wind up the Aussies out here, I'll talk fast when I don't want them to fully get what i'm saying and slow down at strategic conversational points just so there's enough of an idea that I may be insulting them smiley - winkeye.

wheesht

Post 13

smiley - laugh it sounds like fun,
sadly my boys dont really understand scots but I shall have to teach them.... or take them to stay at grandmas for a few weeks, I'm sure they would pick it up eventually

Key: Complain about this post