This is the Message Centre for Geggs

No Subject

Post 1

frankbooth

My Dearest Geggs,

Why do you feel the need to mention you're a Christian? Does it help open up new and interesting conversations? If so, it might be worth mentioning my atheism in my space.

Yours in Christ

a new researcher

No Subject

Post 2

Geggs

I mention it because it is part of who I am. I'm a Sci-Fi fan too. And I find Dave Gorman and Harry Hill quite funny, as well. And I'm in love with Hannah. And I'm 28.

To not mention such things in a bit of blurb where I'm meant to be describing myself would be self-defeating, I think.

Geggs

No Subject

Post 3

frankbooth

Thanks for your candid reply. I could you see you were an interesting person, but just wondered, WHY?

No Subject

Post 4

Geggs

Why what?

Why am I interesting? smiley - doh

Geggs

No Subject

Post 5

frankbooth

P.S: I like a good laugh, but unfortunatately have never heard of this Gorman fella. Has he been on English T.V.? We are a number of years behind here in Denmark. Perhaps he's reletively new?

No Subject

Post 6

frankbooth

Why mention the Christian buisness? Are you becoming a little hot under the collar? Perhaps you find me a little intrusive, even threatening?

No Subject

Post 7

Geggs

Why wouldn't I mention it? I consider it to be the defining point of my life. I am a Christian. Not to mention that would be tantamount to denying my very existance.

I don't mention it to provoke a reaction, I mention it because it is the truth.

As for Dave, I guess he may be a bit British-centric, though I believe he has done gigs in Australia and America. And I assure you, he is very funny.

Geggs

gorman inquiry

Post 8

frankbooth

I suppose this is why I didn't understand:-

Hi, My name is frank. I am a 42 year old atheist who lives in denmark with my darling wife and 2 adorable children. My hobbies include sky-diving and restoring old Ferraris. As a deepsea diver I often........

What the hell has being an atheist got to do with it?

"tantamount to denying my very existance." Whooh. Pretty strong f**king stuff. That seems to have everything to do with it.

I always thought being a Christian was only the opposite of being an atheist. The only person being more pathetic, an agnostic.

It appears it is no less than a way life for you. As for me, it is nothing more than an opinion. I couldn't imagine atheists starting a missionary converting Heathens to atheism, campaining against womens rights over their own reproduction, or crusading the middle east. It definitely wasn't the defining point in my life. Just a quiet realisation.

I mention it to provoke a reaction, I mention it because it is the truth.

As for Gorman, I'll have to keep an eye/ear out for him. Perhaps I might try that site mentioned in your space.

Without being impertinent, may I enquire about your name? Have I missed something?

franky

gorman inquiry

Post 9

frankbooth

Sorry. One more thing to make clear. I meant that, I thought you may have been an interesting person without you mentioning your beliefs. Some Christians can be very uninteresting you know?

gorman inquiry

Post 10

Geggs

Oh, the world is full of uninteresting people. Such is life.

I had kinda guessed that you were trying to provoke a reaction. I mention my Christianity because, to me, it is important. To others it may well be completely irrelavant. That is an decision for others to make.

Equally, you can describe yourself in whatever way you want on your space. If you think being an atheist is important, mention it. If you don't, don't. If you want describe yourself as you are, then do so. If you want to craft a complete fantasy that bears no relation to the person you actually are, then do that (you wouldn't be the first, I assure you).

That is one of the joys about the internet. You can reveal exactly how much or how little of you that you want. For example, I am reticent to reveal my real name, or address, or anything that can directly identify me. I have chosen to reveal certain bits of information, but I would be surprised if they could be used to uniquely identify me.

Geggs

gorman inquiry

Post 11

frankbooth

It's frustrating. Here we have a trully global way of communicating. I'm sure DNA had ideas that we could share our experiences and ideas, in an almost ideal learning tool, but here we still are struggling to except our different beliefs and prejudices.

Being somewhat small-minded myself, I can't help but first judge a resercher's nationallity before concidering what they have to say. It's almost a game I play. Trying to guess if a person is American or english (primarily the two largest resercher nationalities), from the clues they leave in their spaces and postings. Any whiff of Americanism (or dungeon and dragon, trainspotter types) and I almost immediately disregard any opinion they have. Funnily enough, I loath any type of nationism and am quite happy to rip my own nation to pieces. Constructively of course.

I'm new to this game and must address these social prejduices accordingly.

I've read a little about Gorman on the BBC comedy site, but am still none the wiser. Only BBC PRIME can can quench my curiosity now.

franky

gorman inquiry

Post 12

Geggs

I don't think I would just ignore the opinions of large groups of people like that. Though, admittedly, there are some people's opinions and ideas that I value more than others.

There's a couple of people around on the site that tipe liek spelng dos'nt exsit in dere wurld, or who CaPiTaLiSe EvEr OtHeR LeTtEr, and I just wonder whether they would ever have anything worth saying, or be able to articulate complex thought.

On the other hand, there's a research on site called Gnomon (don't know if you've come across him yet) that I have a lot of time from. He's one of the cleverest and most well-informed people I have ever come across. When a serious and honest question pops up on <./>Askh2g2</.> (which is a rare thing these days) then it's usually Gnomon that comes up with the comprehensive answer. And he's Irish, by the way. Don't know how that fits into your nationality filter.smiley - winkeye

Geggs

gorman inquiry

Post 13

frankbooth

I have in fact seen a couple of Gnomon's postings and a bright chappy he is. As for spelling there's always that Pedantic-somethingorother fella to police the h2g2? How's my spelling/punctuation by the way? I hope it's up to standard.

I'm off to Xmas party this evening. Can you have a good one?

yours

the Christian bater

gorman inquiry

Post 14

frankbooth

It's what you get if you mix a Christian baiter with a masturbater. So much for my spelling, eh?

gorman inquiry

Post 15

frankbooth

You couldn't explain to me why I have a pair of eyes before my name, could you?

gorman inquiry

Post 16

Geggs

Your spelling and grammar are just fine. No problems there!smiley - smiley

As for the eyes, they indicate that you are online. So right now, as you aren't online, there are no eyes. But when you read this, there will be. Obviously this works for everyone, so if you see eyes by anyone's name, then they are online as well.

Geggs

gorman inquiry

Post 17

frankbooth

Thanks for the explaination.

Just got home from the xmas party. It's the tradition here in Denmark, to drink alot of snaps from small glasses betwix the usual beer and wine. I'm feeling rather smug as I managed to avoid the big three. Politics, work, and religion. I also came home early before I managed to make a complete dick of myself. Oh, the joys of the festive season.

Please feel free to correspond. Anything. Anything at all you think I might find interesting or stimulating.

Frank.

gorman inquiry

Post 18

Geggs

F54784?thread=358407

This might interest you. Interests me, anyway. It's a discussion about daylight time, and the shortest day, and longer evenings, and sundails, and stuff.

Quite odd in a kinda chrono-geek type way.

Geggs

gorman inquiry

Post 19

frankbooth

Thanks for the thread. Very interesting indeed. I was happy in the knowledge that it had everything to do with the tilt in the earth's axis and it's subsequent 'wobble'. Now I have to contend with a figure of eight in the heavens, when I was content with fluffy sheep and images of former u.s. presidents. I'm only sorry I couldn't contribute.

I'd imagine it's a pretty important time of the year for you just now.(superseded only by easter?)So I'll wish you a good one.

yours

frank

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Geggs

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more