This is the Message Centre for Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Death on the roads...

Post 1

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Yesterday I made the weekly pilgrimage to the mother-in-laws and the recorded fresh roadkill toll was as follows:
- Badgers x4
- Pheasants x6
- Fox x1
- Rabbits x2
- Magpie x1

As usual I performed the Druid Roadkill prayer as I passed each one, and stopped once to move a recently killed badger onto the verge.

The trip took an hour and covered 45 miles of country A road.

Recent research suggests that most native British mammals and birds cannot react quickly enough to anything moving faster than a stooping Sparrowhawk or Kestrel. This is about 42 mph. Indeed where a 40mph restriction is in force roadkill incidents fall by as much as 90%.

The incidence in human accidents and deaths falls by a similar amount. Indeed two weeks ago my wife and witnessed a horrific accident where a car towing a caravan and another car collided as both tried to overtake and old couple going 40mph on a narrow country A road. They were both doing over 60mph, lost control and the rest was history (and carnage).

Is it not time to begin a campaign to restrict road speeds to say 50mph in open country on wide roads, 40mph on bends and in dense country or narrow roads, as well as the 30mph and 20mph restrictions in built-up areas?

Also isn't driving at 50mph a lot more fuel efficient than 60mph or above? Another environmental bonus.

I've even thought up a name for the campaign: Indecent Haste. Hmmm... I am going to have to look into this a bit. I'll get back to you all about it, but in the meantime, any comments?

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\

Death on the roads...

Post 2

Gone again

smiley - ok

Death on the roads...

Post 3

shifty

in the uk there are to many joy riders that dont care about anyones but them , there should be more done .

http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/environment_sciences/report-31710.html

Death on the roads...

Post 4

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

That campaign is an excellent idea, Matholwch! As my ex said once to a driver who roared past us at speed (on a bridge, no less) "Where are you in such a hurry to get to, that you're *dying* to get there?"

Death on the roads...

Post 5

shifty

good point apple .

Death on the roads...

Post 6

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hi Applesmiley - smiley

My wife and I name such drivers 'kidney donors' as they are obvioulsy in such a hurry to use their donor card.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more